Unlimited access >

First time going to Kentucky 3DE! Camping?

Hi all! I was feeling spontaneous a few months ago and signed up to volunteer at the Kentucky 3DE next weekend. It seemed like it would be fun, and I need volunteer hours to graduate, so why not?

Now that it’s close I’m realizing I should’ve planned ahead better. I was planning on camping but it looks like the campground is already full in the park.

Is there anywhere nearby I can safely throw a tent for 2 nights? Or anywhere safe to sleep in my car? I can fold the seats down and put an air mattress in the back, is actually pretty comfy.

Any other advice for someone going for the first time? I’ve been to the horse park but for a much smaller thing

You can primitive camp without a reservation! I am not sure how it works 100%, but I know it is first come first serve.

I am camping for the first time (in RV or LQ tho). I got my spot on the day it opened last year. Since I wasn’t sure how the primitive camping worked, I didn’t want to try it out my first time. So report back to us!

Good to know, thank you! I’ll try and contact someone in the volunteer chain who might know more. Otherwise I’ll just show up with a tent!

Like I said I’m comfortable camping in my car so worst case scenario I just park at Walmart for the night

You may be able to call the park itself & get more information too. I’m sure you wouldn’t be the first to be asking those questions.

First come, first served on primitive camping.

Welp good to know. Looks like I’m sleeping in my car! I won’t be able to make it until Friday evening, I can’t skip class unfortunately.

It’s all good, I’ll probably be more comfortable in my car - I just like tent camping when I get the chance!

You may still be able to fit a tent and/or your car in the primitive. In the past, the primitive camping area I walked through didn’t seem overly full. So a tent/car may be easy to wedge in somewhere too.

(Or someone camping that you know may allow you to pitch your tent on their parking area!)

1 Like

There will be plenty of room in primitive for your tent. You’ll just have a bit of a hike to the bathhouse!

Thank you!

Unfortunately my parents got wind of my plans and got me a hotel room nearby :sweat_smile:. I’m very thankful to them but I was also excited to go camping lol. Having a warm shower and soft bed will be worth it though! Especially since I’m volunteering, not spectating.

11 Likes

@grandprixer Good on your parents! I’m sure after many hours of volunteering you will really appreciate some hotel comforts.

3 Likes

What are you volunteering as this weekend?

I’m driving a parking lot shuttle on Sunday I believe and on Saturday I’m a xc videographer! Should be interesting, and it’ll be cool to watch everyone come though xc!

3 Likes

Your parents rock!! I hope you have a blast, and please report back. It’s a bucket list item for me to go and volunteer.