Unlimited access >

Fitting a Harness to a Growing Horse

I’ve been reading, but I think I need some experienced opinions on this one. While I have history with driving, it was always done on horses/drafts that were done growing…and the farm already had harness for the horses.

I have two scenarios currently that I am wondering how to go about fitting, and also wondering if it will involve two different harnesses, or if one size will have enough give/take to fit both horses. 1st horse is young(coming 2) and growing-currently about 14.2 up front/15 behind, should mature to around 15.1 or 15.2. He’s probably 2-3 years out from his final-ish height. I’d like to start him under harness before backing him in his late 3/turning 4 year. Second horse is done with his bone growth(he’s 8), at 14.1…maybe 14.2, but is very underweight currently. Once filled out/recovered, I expect will be a stocky/solidly built 14.2.(since I’m unsure of his actual current measurement…he’s new…please forgive my odd/unprecise ranges).

Given these two horses…I’m dancing on the edge of cob and horse. Will be officially measuring the younger one today. Advice from anyone? I don’t plan on driving competitively. Just using it to develop and make a more well-rounded citizen. TIA.

Disregard. After measuring the youngster, he’s already horse sized…mostly…Haha. Guess that answers my question. I really didn’t think he would measure as big as he did.