Unlimited access >

Flightline Full Brother, Can't Run, Retired

Full brother to Flightline, but apparently can’t run like him.

Breeder is retiring him to her farm to “live out his days”, and because "“I feel like breeders need to be responsible for what they bring into this world”.
Refreshing.

https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/flightlines-brother-olivier-retired-after-claim-voided-returns-to-summer-wind-birthplace

6 Likes

I read this, and I was kind of hoping that they would consider another career once he heals, and perhaps has brain surgery. Of course, he may just be one of those Tapits that isn’t doing another job

2 Likes

I always think that it’s helpful if a well bred TB who doesn’t make it as a racehorse gets a chance at a different way of making a living (hunter/jumper/event) just to publicize the option for ALL ottbs. Horses with value tend to be better looked after than those who are not valued. Publicize the secondary value of a quality bred TB horse who isn’t racing to benefit ALL thoroughbred horses.

In decades past, OTTBs had value as sport prospects, because everyone knew the families that were producing successful sport horses. Since the WB invasion, and the promotion of sport specific breeding of those, the TB now needs to be “rescued” when his race career is over or failed. This is such a pity, because it is not true. Those superior sport horses are still out there, still available from the ranks of retired race horses, but the top re-training options are simply not interested in taking them on often.
If he can’t jump well, or isn’t suitable as a sport prospect, then sure, he can be simply looked after as a pet or recreational riding horse for the rest of his life by someone who cares about him. But if he CAN jump, if he IS an athlete, think of the benefit if he has success in sport disciplines!!!

I always feel this way when a well bred TB doesn’t get the chance to publicly prove himself in a different sport discipline.

12 Likes

This x1000!

1 Like

Perhaps he is not sound enough for a second career–the story mentions “several physical issues”. At least he will be safe.
And there apparently are no plans to breed him (yet). I hope it stays that way. We don’t need another unsound, well-bred-but-can’t-run stallion reproducing himself.

6 Likes

I’m betting his second career will be standing at stud somewhere.