Unlimited access >

Floodlight for barnyard/arena?

Hello all, I searched the old threads but they are mostly a couple of years old, and LEDs are more popular nowadays.
I’m going to have an electrician out to install a light on the side of my barn, it’s about 20’ high at the peak, and the barn sits about 2’ above my arena, so I’m hoping to have maybe a 2 light floodlight fixture installed and light my barnyard and maybe a bit of the arena (dressage people can do a lot with a 20m circle :D)

Does anyone have recommendations for fixtures and bulbs for something like this? Again, I prefer LED for the cheap operating cost and low heat output.

We have a LED flood light like that…let me see if I can find the info from the electrician.

It’s the 39W 5000K version of this:

https://www.rabweb.com/led-flood-lights-ffled.php

It’s pretty slick. Throws off a TON of light. And no warming up. Was $405 installed (vs $266 for high pressure sodium.)

A friend that is an electrician put two of those, don’t know exactly which size, one on the front and one on the side of the barn, where the horse pens are:

http://www.budgetlighting.com/fixtures/barn-lights/rab-lighting-yard-blaster-ybled26.html

They are dusk to dawn ones and fabulous, light up a good tens of feet in all directions, best ones of those we have had yet.

Wasn’t there something about lights attracting…mayflies? which cause/carry some equine disease?
I have, obviously, some vague recollection of a thread on Coth.

Thanks for the links!

I am looking for something I can use with a switch, as I only want the lights while I’m out there.

This company has very well made stuff.https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/landscape-spot-flood-lights/flood%20light/

Yep, mine is on a switch. It’s on the end of my barn, outside. Only on when I’m out there doing something.

Mine are dusk to dawn, but on a switch, so in the dark I can turn them on and off at will also.

Found it.
Last post on this thread.
Lights, mayflies and Potomac Horse fever.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-179363.html

Found it. Second to last post on this thread, from Evalee :sadsmile:
Lights, mayflies and Potomac Horse fever.www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-179363.html

But, if you put the light a distance from the barn to “flood” light it, the flies would be that distance away ?

[QUOTE=Chall;8391983]
Found it.
Last post on this thread.
Lights, mayflies and Potomac Horse fever.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-179363.html[/QUOTE]

That’s all very well and good, but are you proposing that no one should ever have a light on at night around their horses? :confused:

When the days are short, a lot of us need some help to get stuff done at night.

Maybe this is only an option for Alabama Power Company but I have two “security” lights they put in. They are dusk to dawn and only cost me about $10 or $11 dollars per month per light. The power company owns these lights, they put up the pole and when they burn out I call and they come and replace the bulb. I did not pay anything for the installation nor do I pay anything when they come and fix them. They put out a lot of light and I really don’t need two of them in that location.

I am going to see about getting one put up around my arena. I just don’t feel “secure” about that side of my house being dark. HAHAHA!!!

Maybe this is an option for you?

Oh and my horses used to sleep under the security light when they were turned out at night. They had 15 acres yet preferred sleeping under the light.

[QUOTE=Simkie;8392192]
That’s all very well and good, but are you proposing that no one should ever have a light on at night around their horses? :confused:

When the days are short, a lot of us need some help to get stuff done at night.[/QUOTE]

mayflies are active in summer months, so it’s not applicablewhen days are short.
If there a Potomac fever outbreak in the summer in my area, I would want that factoid tucked away for possible use.

[QUOTE=Simkie;8391679]
We have a LED flood light like that…let me see if I can find the info from the electrician.

It’s the 39W 5000K version of this:

https://www.rabweb.com/led-flood-lights-ffled.php

It’s pretty slick. Throws off a TON of light. And no warming up. Was $405 installed (vs $266 for high pressure sodium.)[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty interested in these- do you know which NEMA spread you have (7H x 6V, 5H x 5V and 4H x 4V)? About how much area do you think yours illuminates?

And thanks for the warning Chall, but I’m not too concerned with Potomac horse fever. Colorado is a pretty arid state and I’m not near any large bodies of water. Besides, I mainly want the light for after the time change, and we’ve already had a freeze. The light will be on when I do chores or when I ride, but I’m not leaving it on all night every night.

These are more reasonably priced and there is much more info on the brightnes/beam angle etc…

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-landscape-flood-lights/flood%20light/

How in the world does one calculate how many lights they need for a large area (arena, etc.)? This is a very interesting thread now that it’s dark when I get home. How do you know how far it reaches (like can you just light one long side of a riding area)?

How do you know how high to mount these?

I have the typical farm light from the coop, but it’s nothing to brag about. Mine is kind of a dull yellow.

[QUOTE=swgarasu;8393859]
I’m pretty interested in these- do you know which NEMA spread you have (7H x 6V, 5H x 5V and 4H x 4V)? About how much area do you think yours illuminates?

And thanks for the warning Chall, but I’m not too concerned with Potomac horse fever. Colorado is a pretty arid state and I’m not near any large bodies of water. Besides, I mainly want the light for after the time change, and we’ve already had a freeze. The light will be on when I do chores or when I ride, but I’m not leaving it on all night every night.[/QUOTE]

Looking at the info I have from my electrician, it is 7H x 6V.

It does a pretty impressive job lighting the space between the south end of my barn and the north fenceline of my south fields, which google tells me is about 60 feet. Into the fields (so more than 60 ft from the light) it’s not real bright, but there’s more than enough light to keep me from killing myself tripping over something or running into a horse, and I can check water.

It’s a bit bright walking back to the barn, but I’d say that’s also because the barn is up a bit of a slope.

The price I mentioned above is also what it cost to have the electrician purchase and install it (electrical was already there…we replaced an existing fixture that had failed.)

I have a spec sheet that I don’t see on the website if you’d like to take a peek–just shoot me your email and I would be glad to forward.

[QUOTE=Simkie;8394652]
Looking at the info I have from my electrician, it is 7H x 6V.

It does a pretty impressive job lighting the space between the south end of my barn and the north fenceline of my south fields, which google tells me is about 60 feet. Into the fields (so more than 60 ft from the light) it’s not real bright, but there’s more than enough light to keep me from killing myself tripping over something or running into a horse, and I can check water.

It’s a bit bright walking back to the barn, but I’d say that’s also because the barn is up a bit of a slope.

The price I mentioned above is also what it cost to have the electrician purchase and install it (electrical was already there…we replaced an existing fixture that had failed.)

I have a spec sheet that I don’t see on the website if you’d like to take a peek–just shoot me your email and I would be glad to forward.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info- I see the beam types come in different patterns. My electrician also sent me some info about a company he uses that does bright leds- I’ll ping you for the spec sheet if I decide I need it, appreciate the help!