Unlimited access >

Florida - poor hoof walls - abscesses - Cushings

Hi, everyone -
Due to work it’s been a long time since I’ve been on here.
Appreciate thoughts in advance!

Living in NE Florida for work - originally from NY. Have retired 21 yo 16.3 TB that I did some work with after his retirement. But he has kissing spine, because of my work contracts and moves etc I couldn’t keep a consistent schedule. So he’s been mostly retired the past few years. Haven’t ridden him in over 2 years.

His feet are a constant issue. Brought him down here about 4 years ago. Had shoes on front. Been barefoot on and off the past couple of years. 18 months ago moved him from a big stable with crappy wet pastures and wacko owners where they insisted on leaving him when field was under water - to current small barn with great care and much better pastures - with always a dry spot to stand. And he’s smart about the water - avoids it. But it is still Florida.

Have decided to send him back to NYS - where his feet used to be better, although never perfect. Out of the FL heat. Going to a BFF’s farm and nearer to good vets.
Also has a 5 year old RF injury from catching himself in the pasture, slicing across the top of his hoof, with resulting inconsistent growth on the inside 1/4 of his hoof.

Considering all of the above, he has usually been about 95% sound to run and play and happily graze.

He is on a biotin supplement, taking Prascend for Cushings diagnosed down here (every time he grew in a winter coat “it’s Cushings!” but yes, the tests came back positive). He’s in good weight, no digestive issues. Nothing else that suggests any medical problems.
Abhors flies so constantly wearing fly sheet and fly boots, but let ONE land and he’ll stomp like crazy.

Last summer, before the Cushings diagnosis, thought I might try injections as he would be a smidgen off going to the left, and otherwise was in good shape. And maybe? we could try some riding again? Had never done injections before, ever.

He had SI injections and back hock.
Within a month, he was 3 legged lame. Did turn out to be a significant RF abscess, vet was perplexed, only confirmed by the farrier, and took some time to finally pop in front of the BO who did a great job of getting it addressed.
(For the 14 years I’ve had him, he had maybe 3 abscesses back in NY, 2 of which were never apparent until they blew. The 3rd he was lame for a few hours and then it blew. )
Abscess healed eventually. Have kept shoes off - he had fronts on, lost one during all of this, had other pulled off, tearing holes by another when done incorrectly…

This week farrier says he saw a slight head bob and could still get a reaction when hoof testing, Flew up to the barn when I saw his text a few hours after. No limp that I could find. His frog had been sloughing off and was finally gone. He’s fine this week running in the pasture, not toe pointing, no easily discernible limp. Farrier thought maybe I should get x-rays to rule out a chip or something floating in that hoof. (Had x-rays last year before the injections and nothing there.)

Finally, the most consistently maddening thing is his hoof walls. The farrier can trim, and within days horse will have stomped off a piece of a wall on the side of one of his feet - maybe 2 inches in length. With the rest being fine. Just trimmed again, all was good. Now LR hoof wall broken on the outside in less than 4 days.

Farrier finding positive hoof test has us thinking maybe another abscess brewing.

I am going to begin going back up every night (instead of 2-3 times a week) and applying Durasole on his walls. He’s in his stall at night.

Questions:

1. But when thinking about any abscess brewing again, should I be soaking in Epsom salts? We’re trying to keep him out of the water in the pasture for his hoof walls.
  2. Does Cushings or Prascend have any complications that create more abscesses? I’m thinking it’s more the Florida wet, Although NYS can certainly be muddy. But his feet, although not perfect, were definitely better up there. Plus the farriers I’ve had here confirm the issues with Florida and feet.
  3. Worried about the trip - best way for him to travel. He’s very narrow framed. Am fine with either cross tied and he has a stall option. Best for leg relief? I picture possibly more secure in the straight stall, but for a trip over 12 hours or? moving around might have him more comfortable?

Thanks so much for any advice.
I will miss him greatly, but think he’ll be much happier in the pastures in NY, great hay, cooler temps, good vets, under the care of BFF and her daughter.

5 Likes

Cushings / PPID absolutely contributes to hoof issues. It’s a progressive disease. Often the Prascend / pergolide dose needs increasing as the horse ages / the disease progresses.

Good luck with your boy!

9 Likes

Is this horse named Bond ?

Has he been tested for Insulin Resistance? If not, I’d test. If he’s positive and you get that under control it may help with the feet issues. IR can go hand in hand with Cushing’s and just add to the fun.

3 Likes

And you are…?

Thanks so much! It’s been unclear as I’ve tried to determine this elsewhere - have found little about the connection.
Will stay on top of it.

1 Like

Not yet. Thanks so much!
Will ask vet about it also back in NY.

See the following, but doesn’t fit any of the criteria that can be seen…
"* Abnormal weight gain or weight loss.

• Increased or excessive water consumption.
  • Loss of stamina and muscle tone.
  • Tendency to develop laminitis or colic.
  • Abdominal bloating.
  • Increased blood triglyceride levels."
1 Like

Soaking with Epson salts is no longer the standard protocol for abscesses. You don’t need more wet and bacterial entry. You might try Animalintex. It is inexpensive and easy to use.

Good luck with your boy. I know many of us here have been slaves to beloved OTTB elders. Personally I would ship standing for a trip that short but you must trust your gut.

3 Likes

OK - great, thanks! I still see so many recommendations about Epsom salts, but BO has also recommended Animalintex if wrapping. Hadn’t gone there yet as we’re not sure it’s another abscess. Will grab it and be ready.
And am just guessing at the shipping time - think that’s about right if straight thru. Will see what the shipper thinks as we get closer to the weather forecast.
Thanks again!

3 Likes

I was just curious. I remember him from a place where he boarded for a bit. Sweet horse.
I guess I was right.

ETA FWIW hoof abcesses and eventually founder do tend to follow along with cushings unfortunately. One of mine was diagnosed and over time and progression his feet got worse and worse

1 Like

Thanks - will stay on top of it with their vets up there.

I am not an expert, but did have a horse prone to abscesses. Our vet recommends packing the hoof with ‘sugardine’ a paste you make yourself from ordinary sugar and betadine.
Pack that in the hoof, cover with a piece of animallintex, then baby diaper, vetwrap, and duct tape.
Or, as we call it, ‘the woiks’.
Very best of luck with his hoof issues, and with his move.

ETA ; animallintex knock-offs are available in hoof shapes, ready to go. Cheaper and easier.

2 Likes

We had an equine chiropractor out to work on 3 horses this week. The subject of abscesses came up, as one of the horses had 3 in the past year.

Dr. Chiro said he uses laser treatment for abscesses now. The laser kills the bacteria that cause the abscess. He said recovery is very fast with this treatment. Worth asking about maybe. He charges $45 per treatment, and one is usually sufficient. He vehemently opposed drilling in to the abscess from the side hoof wall, which was one treatment that horse had. He said that just creates a path for more bacteria to enter.

4 Likes

Oh, thanks for the suggestion! Sound like a great idea. If/when this comes up again next, will see if it’s suggested!

So the trip is all set. Heading to NYS on Monday 3/25. Will miss him a great deal, but at the same time, think he’ll be much, much happier out in fields all day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Adding an update. My guy now back in NYS, having a good time rolling in the mud.
Did the trip like a pro - no issues whatsoever and walked off the ramp like he owned the place. He did live there for a year when I first got him after his retirement. So appears he feels at home.
Every other trip he’s made from one place to the next - even down the road - he was pretty anxious upon arrival. Not here. :grinning:
Already seen the vet and farrier. Good plans in place for his feet. Farrier already found an abscess location in a different hoof with trapped material not previously found.
And in addition to my BFF, he has 2 other ladies as substitute Moms to come and spoil him for grooming, carrot stretches and plenty of attention.
Thanks for the recommendations above. Will keep them all in mind.

8 Likes

Great news, CVPeg! Thanks for the update.

2 Likes