Unlimited access >

Fly sheet for 24/7 turnout in hot, humid weather

(Yes, I know, this is the 12,437th thread on this.) My guy - a very thin skinned, sensitive dark bay TB - is on 24/7 turnout for the first time in his life this summer. He hates flies and will turn himself inside out if they’re bothering him.

Problem is, he’s also a blanket destroyer and will be out during the hot, humid Virginia summer, where it can get above 95 some days. In the past, I’ve used the heavy-duty textilene sheets as he was only on night turnout and they lasted for years, but I think they’ll just be too much in the hot sun.

Have done a search on this topic ad nauseam and have found that the Rambo sheets have mostly positive reviews, but I’m not quite convinced. I’m willing to spend a bit more, but would rather have two sheets that can be swapped on and off in the event they start rubbing him. (I’m currently abroad so I’m trying to make it as easy as possible for his caretakers.)

Any suggestions on other sheets that fit the bill? I’ve also read Schneider’s (which model?) and even the Weatherbeeta ones are fairly decent. Also curious whether the patterned or zebra print sheets seem to have any effect.

Thanks all!

My experience in hot, humid climates with fly sheets: there isn’t anything that won’t make them hotter. And horses who are hot and sweaty are much more likely to start rubbing and rip their fly sheet to shreds.

What works very well with my thin-skinned, sensitive horses: fly boots, fly mask, and fans in the shed if you can swing it. Oh, and whatever fly spray seems to be temporarily working for your area, but fly spray is never an all day solution. I think the fly boots are the biggest part: stopping the stomping has huge positive benefits to their comfort! I love shoo fly leggins because the design prevents so many of the issues caused by traditional boots that fit flush against the leg.

I apologize for a long post that doesn’t even answer your original question.

6 Likes

That’s fine! My issue is that he gets hives, which progressed into fungus at one point. I’ve previously used the Kensington boots with success. so I’ll see if the barn he’s at will let him wear them all day/night. The hard VA ground and the fact that he’s shoeless won’t help his feet, so that may be a solution.

100% agree… also fly sheets as you noted will bake the horse… we have one wonder horse who is allergic to Everything in The world it appears …we just can not have him out in the afternoon sun as the flysheet just bakes him…so back to his tall to stand under the fans

(as for the flysheet…they can get dirty Fast… a clean one is by our experience is promptly worn out to be rolled in)

There is no such flysheet that will not overheat a horse in the 90’s. Here in the heat and flies
of Florida, I resort to daily spraying of Endure fly spray. Yes it’s pricey- $25. per quart. But it does not burn the sensitive ones and it does last well all day.
I would buy a good supply of Endure and stress to his caretakers that he MUST be liberally sprayed every single day- all over- legs, belly, rub on hand and spread on face and ears.
People skimp and buy cheap spray but in the long run, it pays to get the expensive stuff cause it works.

2 Likes

I agree about flysheets making horses hot.

My bay Tb mare is out 24/7 for the summer (not her first time). She has access to a well ventilated shelter.
She wears a Rambo fly mask that stays put, and fly spray applied in the AM especially on her legs.
She is not particularly sensitive so I buy Repel X concentrate and dilute it depending on how aggressive the fly population is a certain times of the summer. Bite Free is another one of my favorites because it also works on ticks, although there aren’t any in this particular field, it seems. I use it more when trail riding.
I did buy fly boots for her but I worry that they will slide or move around and irritate her legs.

I’ve been there, done that so many times for everything in your post!!!

Dietary changes stopped my hives to fungus problem in my TBs. My WB mare gets hives from mosquitoes that don’t turn into fugus: good fly spray and an evening/nighttime fly sheet help with that.

I loved the Kensington boots, but the Shoo Fly ones are better in my opinion! I felt like I had to take the Kensington boots off every night or else the horses would get cannon bone crud. Also, very rarely they would slip and tighten on the leg, so I felt I needed to take them off daily to minimize that risk. The Shoo Fly boots don’t have those issues and I feel much more comfortable leaving them on overnight.

Fly boots are the only reason I can keep my barefoot horses sound in the summer. Otherwise they destroy their feet stomping.

24/7 sheets and boots have not worked for me. I love the shoo fly leggings, but my horse did develop a terrible raw to the meat rub on one leg when they were left on 24/7 (I wasn’t able to get to the barn one week and it wasn’t pretty).

What is working for me currently is fly spray twice a day religiously. I’m saving fly sheets for when the bugs really ramp up.

IME the stiffer fly sheets are more comfortable for my horse in extreme hot humid weather. That being said, everyone is miserable outside on summer afternoons. In the shade under a fan is where it’s at then.

Allllll of this. Marla, Seminole somewhat often has it on sale for like $21/bottle, a small savings but every little bit helps when you’re buying multiple bottles a month (if there’s a Seminole convenient for you anyway).

My mare gets crazy rub marks on her face from fly masks, so I don’t even use those in the hottest part of the summer.

The BIG Rescue fly traps work really well, too, IME, and really keep the number of flies down.

1 Like

Endure at Valley Vet is currently 20.99/qt, 71.99/gallon. I’ve been rotating with Pyranha spray and wipe (blue bottle) which is 14.95/qt, 45.95/gallon.

Love love love Endure. Don’t love the hacking cough it gives me when I spray downwind. :joy: