Unlimited access >

Fly sheet recommendation for newbie - Weatherbeeta?

I am new to horses and my boy is outside right now for the summer as the barn to just WAY TOO HOT even with stall fans. So he is outside and his paddock has a nice big tree so he has shade. I want to get him a fly sheet as the fly spray is not enough and I also want to protect him from the sub. I have a 16.1 h dark bay Thoroughbred and I am in Northern California. It can get into triple digits at times, but seems to be pretty cool under the tree and the delta breeze.

I was looking at the Weatherbeeta Airflow Fly Sheet, but wanted to get others thoughts on this one or if there is a better one to look at.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

I have one for my 16hh Standardbred. He wears an 81, and it fits him pretty well, with the exception of the neck hole being just a little big. He’s very narrow, and hard to fit, but Weatherbeeta is as good as it gets for him. I have the neck piece, and it stays up surprisingly well. The sheet stays on despite his rolling, and a mini tugging on it for laughs. Belly attachments works great – keeps him bite free down below. He is very sensitive to bugs and seems comfortable in this sheet. It is a soft material – not like the Kensington mesh, which is probably the coolest material out there. But, it works fine here in New England temps. He defnitely seems cooler in a white fly sheet than when he’s out in just his dark bay coat!

I had one weatherbeeta that I loved, but it didn’t last as long as I would have liked. I’d still probably get another, but I also love my Amigo flybuster and my dura-mesh texilene sheets.

I have this sheet. It’s rather heavy! (weight, not warmth)

I like the lined shoulders and tail. I like the belly band. Mine also wears an 81. I agree with the neck opening being kind of large. It’s a little bit of a strange fit in that it seems large in front yet due to weight it sags back and then seems a little tight in the shoulders. The velcro on the front is also worthless so the sheet opens up underneath the straps and exposes the chest some to bites as the horse walks around and grazes. I feel like it has stretched a bit. Maybe my fit issues would be less if I’d sized down to 78.

Seems to be holding up well to rolls!

I have a 16hh TB and I personally don’t like the Weatherbeetas. They’re HUGE. My horse normally wears a 78 to 80. The fly sheet she has on now is a 78 and too big. The 80 hangs to her knees, and half a foot off the back (I mean the actual back piece not including the huge tail flap). I could fit at least three of her necks (mind you she has a pretty thin TB neck) in the neck piece.
However mine do last long and keep the bugs off nicely. Can’t say anything about the heat. 30 degrees C here is a stay inside day for me.

We have used these for several years now and are very pleased. They fit our two (Rocky Mtn and Spotted Saddle horse) according to their measurement procedure. Both are 76’s

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_fly-sheets-sun-protection_mosquito-mesh-fly-sheets/mosquito-mesh-closed-front-fly-sheet-32273c/

These guys are rough on “clothing” but we get 2-3 years out of sheet with only minimal maintenance/repairs. They wash out well and dry fast. Both guys are dark colored and the sheets keep them from fading out in the sun.

Our temps get up in the triple digits in summer and they wear them all summer long. They do a good job on mosquitoes and gnats too. We also have the neck covers and masks too.

[QUOTE=chipper2128;8199679]
We have used these for several years now and are very pleased. They fit our two (Rocky Mtn and Spotted Saddle horse) according to their measurement procedure. Both are 76’s

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_fly-sheets-sun-protection_mosquito-mesh-fly-sheets/mosquito-mesh-closed-front-fly-sheet-32273c/

These guys are rough on “clothing” but we get 2-3 years out of sheet with only minimal maintenance/repairs. They wash out well and dry fast. Both guys are dark colored and the sheets keep them from fading out in the sun.

Our temps get up in the triple digits in summer and they wear them all summer long. They do a good job on mosquitoes and gnats too. We also have the neck covers and masks too.[/QUOTE]

OP, I think these are much closer to your conditions than the rest of us on this thread – I’d take chipper2128’s advice here. Those sheets look very airy!