Unlimited access >

Flying With A Saddle?

A bit of backstory. My dad is from England, and when my sisters and I were probably two years old he promised to take us and my mother to England some day. It’s been discussed late last year and early this year about finally making the trek next summer/fall.

Seeing as there’s no way my parents will ship my Leo to England for two weeks, my aunt who used to ride and still run’s her towns gymkhanas says she can most likely arrange a pony for me, and I’ll also definitely take a lesson or two with Clive Milkins. :cool: The reason I want to bring mine is it’s the only dressage saddle I’ve ever sat in that truly fits me, as I am so small. (I’m only 5’, and between 100-115lbs. The saddle is extremely narrow twist, with teeny thigh blocks, monoflap, and a 16.5 seat)

My question is, do you think it’s safe to fly with my CWD? Mum is worried that the plane will loose it, seeing as it’s too big to take as a carry on. What do you think? What have your experiences been flying with saddles?

I’d probably opt to borrow a saddle there - since you don’t even know if yours will fit the horse. However, you can carry on a saddle if you want. Get one of these - makes it look like a tote bag or back pack. http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-fleece-lined-all-purpose-saddle-case/p/X1-33035/

I’ve always carried on my saddle. I had a problem with one smaller plane, but I explained the cost of a saddle and the pilot let it have a free seat rather than go underside. For your deal, I’d not take your saddle. It will be a hassle and may not even fit the horse and make him uncomfortable or misbehave. Have a fun trip!

Edit: actually, I did use to check my (cheaper, non-French) saddle in an 18x18x24 box, with lots of padding and handles cut into it. It was fine.

I don’t think I’d bother taking it. As well as it probably not fitting any of the horses you might be riding, it’s also a case of whether the owner would even let you try your own saddle, and not the horses own. I know I wouldn’t and I can’t think of anyone I know that would.

Its a lot of hassle and potential stress to bring a saddle all that way, for a few rides.

Call the airline and ask if it is possible to bring it into the cabin. It won’t fit in the overhead bin of course, but sometimes there is a little closet for items that are too big for the bin but weren’t checked.

I have flown with a saddle in cargo and it was fine but I don’t think I’d risk it with a saddle I loved unless I was able to insure it for its full value (check with your homeowner’s insurance if they cover lost/damaged luggage or get baggage insurance).

In the UK it is extremely rare to totally unknown for people to turn up to ride with their own saddle. A saddle is fitted to the horse and most public riding stables don’t want to mess around with another one. Some yards might tolerate it but I suggest that carrying a saddle across the Atlantic might be more of a problem than it is worth.

What Willesdon said! It’s pretty much unheard of here for people to bring their own saddles, at a riding school each horse will have it’s own saddle, and private owners are quite precious about what they put on their horse - 99% of amateur riders have their saddles professionally fitted to the horse.

Whereabouts are you heading in England? There are a few places that do amazing dressage schoolmaster lessons, if you have enough of a budget for that :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d also not bring my saddle with me, maybe if you were going to be staying there as a working student or something for a longer stint, but certainly not for 2 weeks. I’d much rather ride a horse in a saddle that fits and is comfortable for him, but not great for me, than the other way around.

[QUOTE=Loopy;7483325]
I don’t think I’d bother taking it. As well as it probably not fitting any of the horses you might be riding, it’s also a case of whether the owner would even let you try your own saddle, and not the horses own. I know I wouldn’t and I can’t think of anyone I know that would.

Its a lot of hassle and potential stress to bring a saddle all that way, for a few rides.[/QUOTE]

Funny how over here in the US this is much more accepted, I think in England if you brought your own saddle to just plonk it on the horse and ride without it being checked/fitted etc etc. you would be looked at rather strangely. I guess just different cultures/ways of thinking.

I would be reluctant because customs etc. will want to be sure the saddle isn’t harbouring any diseases etc. I know this was something I ran into when I was moving out here and looking at bringing stuff with me.

As far as amazing dressage lesson, Talland School of Equitation! Jealous!!

Have a great trip :slight_smile: