Unlimited access >

Flying with dog...any advice?

I am flying with my dog for the first time next week. She is small enough that she can fit under the seat in the cabin with me (not sure I would do it any other way!) She is crate trained and loves her Sherpa carrier, and enjoys going for car rides. My only concern is that she does occasionally get carsick- I don’t think it has anything to do with anxiety because she is quite comfortable in the car, it seems to be just a purely physical reaction to motion.

I am worried about how she will handle an airplane in terms of motion sickness. Any advice on how to manage this? It is a 6 hour overnight flight so I will likely give her a smaller dinner at the usual time, but some sources I have read suggest withholding food for 12 hours before travel (not sure if I’d want to do that though, because then she’d have to go 18+ hours without food).

Has anyone tried medicinal/herbal remedies? Gravol? Rescue Remedy? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

[QUOTE=Silver_star;8201110]
I am flying with my dog for the first time next week. She is small enough that she can fit under the seat in the cabin with me (not sure I would do it any other way!) She is crate trained and loves her Sherpa carrier, and enjoys going for car rides. My only concern is that she does occasionally get carsick- I don’t think it has anything to do with anxiety because she is quite comfortable in the car, it seems to be just a purely physical reaction to motion.

I am worried about how she will handle an airplane in terms of motion sickness. Any advice on how to manage this? It is a 6 hour overnight flight so I will likely give her a smaller dinner at the usual time, but some sources I have read suggest withholding food for 12 hours before travel (not sure if I’d want to do that though, because then she’d have to go 18+ hours without food).

Has anyone tried medicinal/herbal remedies? Gravol? Rescue Remedy? Any advice is appreciated![/QUOTE]

Have you googled? Lots of neat blogs and stories with tips and advice out there. Check out Dog Jaunt. Maybe you already know but it wasn’t mentioned: you need a vet certificate. Bring vacc copies, especially rabies, and a photo of her. I’d line the carrier with something absorbent and have a ziplock baggie ready to contain any smelly accidents.

You will need to carry her through security. I just had a thought this weekend: what about finding a cat collar or some collar with zero metal on it? String a ribbon through it and voila! You have a collar and leash for the hectic moment of getting your stuff, her carrier, and her through security safely.

I would withhold the meal prior to the flight and bring a super high value amazing chewie for when you’re underway. I would also exercise her little heart out that day to increase the odds of her sleeping through the ordeal.

Rescue Remedy wouldn’t hurt -for both of you! :winkgrin:

On top of what Bicoastal mentioned, I would also use tape to make a tag on her collar so God forbid something happens and she gets loose in the airport she has a form of ID on her.