Unlimited access >

foal alert system, which do you use?

I currently have cameras in my stall that connect to marestare and my TV in my home. I also test milk to help pinpoint foaling. Works great, but I am thinking I want a “back up” device now that my mare is getting older. I was looking at the breeder alert, foal alert and equifone systems. I like the equifone system because it does not require a land-phone line…it can use a wireless system. Anyone use that? If it is spotty with function I may consider having a land line phone put in my barn…it would just be a real hassle:(

I have the Breeder Alert and love it. I don’t use a phone at all, I just carry the pager and don’t leave home when they are that close, lol. My sister also has the Breeder Alert and I know she had it phoning her cell phone as she was on holildays at my house 8hrs away and it went off panicking her, she had to phone a neighbor to go and check on her.

How exactly does the Breeder Alert work? Do you attach something to the mare’s halter?

I have the system that looks like the saddle of a driving harness, and I love it! I also have a camera, but I still have to stay up all night to watch it. With my foal alarm I can get some sleep and wake up when the alarm goes off. Then I look at the camera and decide if I need to go down to the barn. My friend has the type that has two magnets sown into to vulva by the vet. I hear that has less false alarms, but I would rather not have to have a vet call or get my mare stitched. I have lent my system out to my friends and many of them have gone on to buy one for themselves! There is also an attatchment that will send the message to your phone. I have never had the need for that, but my vet friend uses hers for when she is called out on an emergency. I believe that the unit is made in Holland although I bought mine here in the US.

[QUOTE=Joshua’s Mom;6764765]
I have the system that looks like the saddle of a driving harness, and I love it! I also have a camera, but I still have to stay up all night to watch it. With my foal alarm I can get some sleep and wake up when the alarm goes off. Then I look at the camera and decide if I need to go down to the barn. My friend has the type that has two magnets sown into to vulva by the vet. I hear that has less false alarms, but I would rather not have to have a vet call or get my mare stitched. I have lent my system out to my friends and many of them have gone on to buy one for themselves! There is also an attatchment that will send the message to your phone. I have never had the need for that, but my vet friend uses hers for when she is called out on an emergency. I believe that the unit is made in Holland although I bought mine here in the US.[/QUOTE]

Please…What is the name of your alarm?? We have a camera, but like you say…you have to keep on eye on it all night!! Cuts into sleep!!

Yes, the Breeder Alert has a small transmitter that attaches to the halter via velcro. Though I also duct tape it to make sure they don’t happen to rub it off at all :slight_smile: You just need a well fitted halter and attach the transmitter and I keep my pager handy, works like a charm! The odd mare that does lay flat out will give you a false alarm but I find a lot of mine don’t lay down long at the end. They have to lay flat out for 9 seconds before the pager goes off.

[QUOTE=Cindy’s Warmbloods;6764926]
Yes, the Breeder Alert has a small transmitter that attaches to the halter via velcro. Though I also duct tape it to make sure they don’t happen to rub it off at all :slight_smile: You just need a well fitted halter and attach the transmitter and I keep my pager handy, works like a charm! The odd mare that does lay flat out will give you a false alarm but I find a lot of mine don’t lay down long at the end. They have to lay flat out for 9 seconds before the pager goes off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I’ll look into that. No mares bred for this year, but as I age I feel the pain of sleep deprivation more!!!

Birth Alarm

The system that I have, and Love, is called Birth Alarm. As I said, the transmitter resembles a Driving or lunging saddle. There are 3 sensitivity setting since it can also be used for monatoring Colic symtoms. The receiver is at my house. There is also a telephone attatchment that can be set to call what ever numbers you would like it to notify. Dan Frye in Indiana or Ohio carries the system. You can contact him at 574-850-7768.
Now that several of my friends have their own systems, we are able to lend them to each other on the rare occasion that we have more than one mare due to foal!

Wanted to bump this up to see if anyone else has experiences with the Breeder Alert system. A little pricy at $465.00 so want to make sure its worth it before purchasing. A good system will be worth the money :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=PremiumWarmbloods;6797283]
Wanted to bump this up to see if anyone else has experiences with the Breeder Alert system. A little pricy at $465.00 so want to make sure its worth it before purchasing. A good system will be worth the money :)[/QUOTE]

I am just checking out the Equi page… seems just like breeder alert but better situated on halter… and of course cheaper… however dont know how well it works… but the price for it is on sale right now for $325

I use Breeder Alert and I love it. I am getting ready to buy two additional monitors and they all will communicate with the main unit and alarm me in the house. The customer service is excellent too.

I’ve had the Breeder Alert system for over 10 years. Upgraded to the newer system a couple of years ago. The transmitters are very small now. We also have cameras. I really like the Breeder Alert system because I hit the reset and if it’s a false alarm it doesn’t go off again. We have also used it if a horse is a little colic to let us know if the horses is rolling around.
Also wanted to mention the benefit of the Breeder Alert is that it’s on all the time - even when the mare’s are turned outside during the day and not in the stall with the cameras.

We have been using the Breeder Alert system for 10 years, and just last year got the newer one, which is nice! We have cameras in the stall and attached paddock so we can watch them from the comfort of the house, as well as give perceived privacy :). Lastly, we obsessively milk test and watch them and record all the test readings and signs. They do definitely follow a pattern most times and you can clearly see that now with 7 years of records to look at in some cases. This saves us COUNTLESS nights of sleep (we work full time so we can’t just stay home unless all systems are go) and I’d say we’ve only missed a few foalings - by minutes in most cases - using these methods in combination.

I’ve used the breeder alert for over 10 years while breeding the minis and wouldn’t foal without it. I had 3 halter monitors so could watch 3 mares at a time. It saved many a foal over the years. Now I no longer breed and it sits on the shelf, if anyone needs one.

1 Like

[QUOTE=TMR;6799050]
I’ve used the breeder alert for over 10 years while breeding the minis and wouldn’t foal without it. I had 3 halter monitors so could watch 3 mares at a time. It saved many a foal over the years. Now I no longer breed and it sits on the shelf, if anyone needs one.[/QUOTE]

TMR can you PM me? Interested :slight_smile:

I have used “foal alert” for years, and it calls my cell phone and house phone when tripped. Then I have the mare in a stall with a camera that ties into the sattelite system on my house TV’s and sleep those final days with the tv on and volume down…
that way, you don’t have to go out to “check” all the time, but know what’s going on…The mare is happier, and so am I. When I know the mare is about to foal, I fly out the door to be there for the foaling!

TMR Interested as well!

[QUOTE=florida foxhunter;6801802]
I have used “foal alert” for years, and it calls my cell phone and house phone when tripped. Then I have the mare in a stall with a camera that ties into the sattelite system on my house TV’s and sleep those final days with the tv on and volume down…
that way, you don’t have to go out to “check” all the time, but know what’s going on…The mare is happier, and so am I. When I know the mare is about to foal, I fly out the door to be there for the foaling![/QUOTE]

This. I have used cameras, milk testing and the foal alert system that sews in. Ironically, I have always been with the mare as soon as the water breaks and before the alert went off. :wink: I am not familiar with the equiphone.

TMR - The minis were difficult to foal out, correct? Never had any problems with my large horses, but my ASPC ponies are not proving to be easy foalers!

Just ordered my breeder alert system!