Unlimited access >

Foal stabling

I posted this in around the farm as I’m new to the forum and wasn’t sure which is a better fit. Hope that’s ok!

We have a minimally developed 3 acre property with a 1.5 acre paddock with a shelter and three lines of hot wire tape maintaining a couple retired tb’s and a pony. I am purchasing a broodmare that is in foal and will need to develop a safe environment for her to have the foal and to house the foal until it is large enough to safely join the others.

There is tons of info out there on the foaling stall but I don’t want the foal to be cooped up in a large box stall any longer than necessary.

What do you recommend for a paddock size for the foal and what type of fencing do you recommend? Also what age do you let them out in the paddock?

There are SO many factors that can affect when your foal goes into the paddock. That being said, if I have a normal foal with no issues, I will put them in a round pen the day after they are born. If they handle that well for a few days, they go into our 100x100 paddocks. We don’t have anything larger than that.

Our paddocks are 8 strands of electric with mesh gates. Not optimal, but we haven’t had an issue.

Once the foal is on the ground, unless there is terrible weather or health issues, they can start being turned out day 1. Foals need to be able to move.

With only 1.5 acres fenced total, I’d say make as big as a paddock as you can allow. There isn’t really such a thing as “too big.” The first day or two I usually put them somewhere smaller with good footing until they get the hang of life, but after that, they are out in the field.

As for joining the herd, that really depends on the herd dynamic and the specific mare and foal. In a tightly knit broodmare band who has raised many generations of foals together, mares and foals may rejoin the herd in a matter of weeks or even just a few days. But if you are unsure of how the relationship will work out, I like to wait longer. There is no single answer. Foals need social interaction but are also fragile, so you just need to feel out how the herd is responding to the situation.

Electric tape is fine, just make sure it is taught and you have enough strands that the foal won’t go underneath. 3 strands should be ok but 4 would probably be better. I think no climb mesh is probably the best for foals but I certainly can’t afford that!

No climb is the safest fencing for foals. Yes it’s expensive, so are wire-induced vet bills. I made a no climb paddock attached to the stall with a 24x40’ run.

That being said, I have hot tape all over the farm for the mature horses, and have not had a horse get cut up when they go through it. A foal, however, could.

It’s all about cost/benefit/risk assessment

1 Like