Unlimited access >

Foal Watch 2023

Cora is on Day 270 and finally looking pregnant from the side. Still not really from the back. She’s super fuzzy so some of that is just hair. (She’s also literally standing on a hill, she isn’t downhill! That group of mares is like a viper pit at feeding time, so I didn’t bother getting her to move around to a better spot.)

7 Likes

Not a foal watch update, but a breeding season update. I noticed that Sydney (the Palomino Princess™) was teasing to her little sister today. Upon checking my calendar, I see that she was also teasing exactly three weeks ago. I assumed she was transitional then, but it sure seems like she’s regularly cycling already! She’s out 24/7, so that seems very early to me. I wasn’t planning on even looking at either mare until late March, but it looks like she might very well be breedable by then. Considering how awful last year’s attempt at breeding her was, starting early might be a wise move this year.

I loaned her to the local IHSA team last weekend for their western horse show. It was only her 4th show under saddle ever, her first trip to what can be a very spooky indoor arena, and her 5th ride since I put her back to work after having all of November and December off for “winter break”. It was also the first time that anyone other than me or the two trainers I’ve had on her have ever ridden her. She was so quiet on Saturday that we put her in the beginner walk/jog draw on Sunday - and she WON one of the two classes! She’s just the best little “Barbie Pony” ever. I really, really hope she decides to get pregnant this year. If ever there were a mare who needs to reproduce, it would be this one.

5 Likes

My terrible season continues.

Shezagreatgal slipped her pregnancy sometime after 60 days. She continued to get fat and “look” pregnant, but is sadly open. I was really looking forward to my Britannia Royal baby, but I guess I can’t have nice things. :frowning:

Yourn, in foal to Gunnevera, started dripping milk at 311 days. She did weird things last year too, as a maiden; waxed up at 322 days, milk tested ready, then she backed off and didn’t foal until 331. She foaled this afternoon, day 323. And it looks like nocardioform placentitis. Gross peanut butter placenta, small dysmature colt. No colostrum. Foal slow to stand, needed assistance. Vet tubed him with frozen colostrum. He isn’t doing well, very lethargic. I will continue to get him up every hour and help him nurse. He has no coordination and needs held up, but has nursed successfully. Very worried about this little guy, vet realistically says it’s 50/50 and agrees with managing him at home vs hospital. Breeding really sucks sometimes. :confused:

Two other mares are under cameras. Tiz a Mystery, maiden 4yo in foal to Mo Town, currently 351 days. Wide as a house, soft tail, udder is barely half full but surprisingly milk tests very ready (>27 brix). Watching her closely.

Her Special Way is in foal to Saketini, currently 332 days. No top line, saggy butt, no tail tone, hanging belly, udder the size of two gallon jugs, and she’s been this way for 6 days. But her milk tests a 6 (brix, not pH) so who knows. She was very sneaky last year with a similar pattern and milk changed quickly.

10 Likes

Geeze, @EventerAJ. You just can’t catch a break. I’m so sorry. Hugs and crossed fingers for smoother sailing going forward.

2 Likes

This saddens me. I love your foals and the obvious care you take with the whole breeding process.

3 Likes

Oh that’s so shitty, EventerAJ, i’m so sorry… :worried:

@EventerAJ, I’m so sorry for your problems. I really hope your new colt turns things around for you.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m so sorry! What awful luck :frowning: I hope your colt pulls through! Sending you all the well wishes!

1 Like

Oh, gosh, @EventerAJ, I am so sorry! I love Sheza and was looking forward to her baby this year myself. Hugs and jingles for your little colt and prayers that the next two go smoothly.

1 Like

I know how it feels for a mare to lose a foal, but you, on top are dealing with this. So sorry. Jingling.

1 Like

Really sorry to hear that update @EventerAJ. I really hope your next two to foal are easier.

1 Like

So sorry, @EventerAJ. What a tough loss. Jingles for your sick foal, I hope he pulls through for you.

1 Like

Not the update I wanted to share, but we had to put down Yourn’s colt this morning. I milked the mare and bottle fed him all night long, but his suckle reflex was declining. He could not manage to lie sternally without assistance. He hardly made attempts to stand or fight for survival. We tried the madigan squeeze, but it didn’t help. Blood work at 7am showed compromised liver and kidney function, elevated fibrinogen. My vet advised letting him go now, instead of trying desperately to keep him alive with some amount of suffering, knowing the outcome would likely be inevitable.

Breeding sucks.

The only silver lining is my vet has a client’s NI mare with additional health issues, and Yourn is going to step in as a nurse mare for this upcoming foal due any day.

9 Likes

Oh, no. I’m so sorry.

I hope Yourn is a happy surrogate mother and at least something positive can come out of this.

3 Likes

Blast. Godspeed, little one. Hugs and love to you and Yourn.

2 Likes

I am so sorry :frowning:

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss. :frowning:

1 Like

So sorry to hear that. Godspeed, little buddy. He was beautiful.

1 Like

I’m so sorry that this has been such a difficult season for you

1 Like

Oh no… what a sweet little angel… :cold_sweat:
Crap, that’s really awful, i’m so sorry @EventerAJ. HUGS

1 Like