Unlimited access >

Foal Watch 2023

Thank you for the kind words everyone. Holding my breath for the next two mares…

I’ve got two geldings competing this week (Weds, Thurs) so I can pretty much guarantee one (or both) mares will foal at a most inconvenient hour. :roll_eyes: As long as mare and foal are healthy, I will be happy to deal with any unfortunate timing.

9 Likes

Oh sheesh @EventerAJ. I just caught up on this thread. I am so sorry about this crummy year for you. Jingles for some good luck and healthy foals!

1 Like

@EventerAJ- I’m so sorry to hear this as well. Here’s to a more positive and better 2023 from now on

@greymatter- I love Sir Vari and was thinking of breeding to him the other year when my mare didn’t take the first time to Sir Wanabi. Luckily she did take the second time and my guy was one of his last foals as he passed less than 6 days after I bred her for the second time. Please post pics when your foal arrives!

1 Like

I wish there was a “can’t like this but deepest sympathies” button.

10 Likes

I’m so, so sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles, @EventerAJ. Here’s hoping Yourn will prove to be a good nursemare and that will provide a little bit of healing to you all. Sending jingles your way.

1 Like

I just caught up to this thread and, @EventerAJ I just want to give you a big, fat hug. I was so excited about your posts sharing Entice, and I am so sorry to hear of your multiple losses. What an awful string of bad luck - I’m gutted for you. I hope it looks up soon and you have a wonderful two days away at the show with your boys.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry

Does calf watch count? My inexperienced neighbors bred their 2 cows. The first one was born on Saturday. A healthy little bull calf. The second one was born last night. I could hear the cow screaming from my barn and assumed she was giving birth. When she continued that anguished mooing, I went to look. The baby was up against my fence. The mother cow had cornered him and was head butting him. My neighbor had climbed my fence and was trying to grab the cow by the halter and keep her from attacking the calf. I had to go get wire cutters, cut down the bottom of the fence and pull the calf through the fence into my yard. Meanwhile my neighbor is holding the cow by the halter… That was an angry cow! I found out later it was a breech birth.

The baby seemed okay. Was trying to stand up when my neighbors husband arrived to take him back to their barn. I didn’t get an update from them today but it looked like they were unloading bags of milk replacer or feed. Definitely a rough introduction to the breeding business!

Anyone know the odds of reintroducing a cow and calf? I didn’t know cows could scream like that… Very intimidating.

5 Likes

@Bluey could probably answer that question. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Poor little calf! Good on you for helping to rescue him.

Odds of his mom changing her mind and accepting him aren’t great, but bottle calves are generally much easier to raise than orphan foals.

1 Like

Well, that happens, giving birth and refusing to accept offspring, happens rarely but also happens with horses and you are right, is very frightening to watch them attack their newborn.

I would first assume that was a first calf heifer, so she didn’t know what to do, really.
If so, you can tie her and hold the calf there to nurse, they generally do ok nursing twice a day, not as bad as a foal, that has to nurse every hour or two.

Most heifers do give up and learn to let the calf nurse, if the calf is ok.
If the calf was injured and doesn’t act right or has trouble nursing for any one reason, is harder to get her to accept it, calf needs to be aggressive at trying to nurse even if it gets bumped off.

Many prefer just to raise the calf on a bottle, both humans and calf can get injured by an uncooperative cow/heifer.
If all is well and she accepts calf, all should be fine in a few days.

I was surprised that the cow had a halter, ours are range beef cows and definitely not gentle or halter broke, even the pet ones rarely are.
It is hard to get a rope or halter on one to tie her to help a newborn nurse.

No telling what the whole situation was, details make a difference in what to do there.
Glad that everyone seems to be ok, even if the newborn may need to be raised on a bottle, all seems ok with it and the rejecting mother.

4 Likes

Expecting a third cross of E.H. Herzensdieb out of by my E.H. Windfall mare! Bred by my good friend who is leasing my mare at Lasting Star Equestrian. 2021 and 2022 fillies were both Premium. This one is available!

Jingles for a safe foaling season for everyone!

5 Likes

Heartbreaking. I admire the strength that you breeders have! You did your best for the little guy.

1 Like

I do have some good news to share! Her Special Way foaled a beautiful Saketini filly on Wednesday night 2/15. Stood and nursed right around midnight. The umbilical cord was HUGE, and we have some concerns about hernia/potential infection. She had a mild fever this afternoon and the vet decided to start on antibiotics now to get ahead of it. Her IgG was excellent (>2000) but we will do a complete CBC tomorrow morning. She acts well, lively and nursing great. Special continues to be an amazing mother, such a kind and patient mare in general. The filly has a “7” shaped star, giving her that nickname.

We were ready for her to be “sneaky,” and indeed her milk changes QUICKLY. Her udder has been huge for 7-10 days, but her milk was clear, thin, and testing at a boring 5 or 6 brix the whole time. Yesterday morning it raised to 12, and 18 at 5pm. By 9pm it was over 25, and turning creamy. When she foaled at 10:45, her milk tested off the chart >35. From 9:45 until she foaled, she was noticeably restless, pawing, and walking circles, so it was no surprise when her water broke. Thankfully was a quick and easy foaling.

Tiz A Mystery is next, with a “full” but not bursting udder. Milk continues to test above 30. She loves to sleep, curled up or laying flat with legs outstretched, four or five times throughout the night. She’s over 354 days now.

45 Likes

I saw this on Saketini’s facebook page last night and couldn’t wait to see her posted here with more info! Congratulations, @EventerAJ and welcome to the world, 7!

2 Likes

Congratulations @EventerAJ! That’s wonderful news.

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congrats! Jingles that everything continues to go well for little baby 7 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

#TeamNoSleep here with another one.

Tiz A Mystery (2019 maiden, day 356) decided to keep us up all night last night, pacing and walking circles from 9pm until 5am this morning. And of course by the time the colt stood and nursed, it was 7am and now it’s time for morning chores. :roll_eyes: Her colt is a bit small (maiden sized) but seems healthy and alert. She has been a good mom, until her udder got a little sore around mid-day and she began squealing and cow kicking. 3ccs of ace to help her chill, and she has been back to her best behavior since then. The colt’s sire, Mo Town, is plain dark bay by Uncle Mo out of a Bernardini mare, which has “white killer” all over it…but the new little guy is blessed with four white feet and a cute star thanks to his mother.

Special’s filly (7) is still doing great. Her umbilical stump shrank down nicely and we have avoided any potential infection. She has the cutest big floppy ears that nod when she walks. I know I’m biased because she’s a Saketini baby, but she is going to be a lovely individual as she matures.

37 Likes

Congratulations!

I love the little half moon star on the new baby.

2 Likes