Unlimited access >

Foam Footing?

Anyone have any feedback on this?

I would like to add it to my sand/screenings ring. I have an ABI rascal if that makes a difference for grooming/dragging.

My only comment is about what I saw in Holland. They added chopped up carpet foam to sand in their outdoor arenas. They also used chopped up carpet. Both worked really well. (That was a long tme ago.) I can’t comment on how the drag would work with this footing. You could ask the company.

I used a similar looking product made from ground sneakers in my sand ring. It integrated well, moderately improved the footing and was economical. It does float to the surface in a heavy rain but mixes back in when you drag. Mine is similarly colored, and you do notice the color, if esthetics are an issue.

Thanks, would love a name for the ground sneakers to compare the prices and products :smiley:

I bought some Foam Footing from a supplier who I seem to remember is in Arizona? What I bought was supposed to be a 2 inch layer for my arena size (small). I like the footing but I really needed 2 or 3 times what I bought to make a difference. Partly because I already have a good bit of sand and fiber footing in the arena to mix the foam footing with. I would definitely buy it again but would buy a lot more than they calculated that I need. It does float to the top in heavy rain but then so does the fiber footing. So I need to keep the footing dragged and fluffed every time it rains. If your other footing is shallower than mine you might not need so much.

Well that is wild - seems like most of the time people are sold far more footing than they need :laughing: That is likely the same company - the one I linked to is in Arizona too. I find it a little irksome that I have to give my contact details to calculate how much is needed so then I can expect a sales call.

Last summer was very dry, this spring has been very dry - and I’ve heard the long range forecast is for another dry summer - so my footing is just not getting enough rain and already feels like July. I always drag after a hard rain so it certainly wouldn’t add more work.

I think it was called light foot when I bought it eight or nine years ago but I think they’ve changed it. What I have looks more like what they call airfoot. The light foot looks interesting though. Might look into that for a top off.

I once used some ground sneakers in my indoor. That was after I went for the Eurofelt (chopped up carpet) on top of sand that was popular after the Olympics in Greece many years ago. I didn’t have a great groomer so I later added some of the ground sneakers. Of course it was indoors but there was so much fuzz that gathered – like massive dust bunnies. Guess it wouldn’t have been so bad outdoors where the fuzz would blow away. Ultimately I went to rubber mulch type stuff – like they use for kids’ playgrounds. Works great inside and outside. Doesn’t blow away and will last forever.

1 Like

Well that sounds terrible. I’m probably just going to go with rubber mulch too. Just not enough feedback on the foam footing to risk it!

I think I would like to know the chemical composition before I broadcast it into the environment. Over time most of this type of crap finds it’s way to the sea. All it says is “Yoga mats”.

4 Likes

wondering if you ever decided to use the performance footing, doing the same research you were a year ago and an insight would be great

No, I didn’t end up using it because I just couldn’t find enough feedback or reviews on using it. I’m not brave or rich enough to be the guinea pig :laughing:

I used it and absolutely loathe it. Floats away with rain, blows away with wind, and now have multi color yoga mat all over the property. Doesn’t even help really with areas that sometimes get compacted after heavy rain because it has just floated up and away from the area. Think it might work for an enclosed indoor setting, but think it should be banned for outdoor settings because I can’t fathom it being all that environmentally friendly.

3 Likes

I have it in my covered and love it. Then added a new product they had Levitare for my round pen. I think this is what you were talking about with sneakers as I think its like that. Anyway I like both for different reasons but i think the Levitare one seems to bind great

Recycled carpet as a footing has been banned by the UK Government because of the environmental pollution it causes.

2 Likes