Unlimited access >

Footing depth

Question for COTH readers. What is you opinion on the perfect all around footing depth? I have sand in my arena and it seems deep in various spots, concerned it may be to deep. Any and all suggestions would be great!

I go for 3 inches, knowing that after awhile, it will be 2 inches. It does depend on the type of sand, rubber, etc., as some footings are softer. I have new sand put in about every three years and go for 3 inches.

But I also can’t have very deep footing since I jump.

I asked our vet at Rood and Riddle about footing once. He said the most common mistake people make with footing is making it too deep. FWIW.

3" here also.

A lot of great info in the “similar threads” at the bottom of the page.

My BO keeps her sand arena at 3". When you ride in deeper sand, without your horse being used to it, you can damage their suspensories. Ask me how I know? :frowning:

I’m not a fan of deep footing. I would honestly rather ride on rock hard, drought grass than too-deep arena footing. I say 2-3 inches is perfect.

Mine’s about 3 inches all over. I have a rubber/sand mix which doesn’t ride as deep as pure sand IMO.

I agree on 3 inches max! I think alot of people don’t realize how hard it is on the horses to be riding in 4-5 inches of sand. The sand arena at my barn gets deep when the sand is super dry in the summer so i ride exclusively in the grass fields and grass stadium ring. I had this same problem at the last barn i was at too.