For all of you more, ah, "dated" riders.. care to reminisce?

but what about colored yarn and pom-pom’s for the ponies??? Yes, I was six, and there wasn’t anything else over jumps less than 3’!!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1198441&a=8834799&p=31116076

Sorry, souldn’t get it into a different file!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do shows have handy hunter divisions anymore <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At WEF there is a handy hunter class for the A/O hunters almost every week. Nothing more complicated than roll backs or trot jumps usually though. They had them for the junior hunters when I was a junior too, for those sometimes you had to get off and jog them over a jump. The only real handy hunter courses left are at Devon and Capital Challenge I THINK for the regular workings.

DON’T go away quietly - your pictures are the BEST - except for yours, PamM! Why didn’t we ever discuss this stuff during those long hours at the A/O ring with Val???

Laurie

What a great topic!
Anyone remember in the late '70’s when the junior divisions at A shows was so big that if you had a major fault (eg. a rail down) you were “bleeped” out and didn’t get to finish the course? Happened to me once at N.C. State Fair (yes, the old Dorton arena), and they blew a LOUD horn (like a car horn) - how embarassing!

Hey, not all of us guys can do this picture thing. LaurieB you did very good!! Can’t even get the bloody scanner connected properly to try. And your pics are great!!

By the way [B]MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU !!!![/B]

One of them, was knitting and selling the most beautiful woolen items.
I purchased a stocking cap for Mallory when she was wee, and a friend had her make a red sweater with her dogs life size in angora. It is gorgeous.
I remember Jim James Again, saw him in HORSES!! haha
Didn’t they winter in Tahoe, because of the sking?

Yep! It was a thing of beauty. It actually replaced the braided rein on my show bridle because it was ‘slippery when wet’.

Pinkhorse, I thought Flying Mouse was a wonderful pony (and I was always dying to know where that name came from ). I never did any showing in Ohio so the only time I saw her was when she came east for North Shore, Piping Rock, etc.

Night classes with the rides all light up and making noise! I rememberSacramento also it always seemed to be 110 out.

Maybe those of us that have been around a while should start a fashion revolt?

Did anybody here show at the Garden in the Children’s Hunters? Before they had junior hunters, the division was chidren’s (or child’s, maybe) hunters. It was 3’6" then!

PamM, great photo! You were five? What age did you start riding?

I love the way that, in those days, even if you were a really little kid they just pointed you at a fence and assumed you’d jump it. I learned how to jump one summer at camp. Having done nothing but crossrails, I bought a horse at camp and brought it home with me. When the trainer at my new barn asked if I could jump, I said “Sure!” (I thought I could LOL)He never asked about my prior experience. He just set up a course of 2’6" fences and off we went.

Great idea PamM…Or we could all wear them, if we have the nerve, to the next show identifing ourselves…

Wow, I can’t believe this thread is still going and going and going and going…

Pam M great photo. I love Apache! Don’t you miss those shows of your youth? When I was a kid our A shows were mostly Country Fairs or were held in a cow field donated for the weekend. Ah the good old days!
I’ve also got some of those winners photo’s with the ridiculous 60’s beehives and bellbottom pants suits. Hilarious!

One thing I haven’t seen anybody mention is how many fewer shows people went to in those days, even the hard-core show barns. There weren’t any Florida circuits (or if there were, we up north didn’t know about them

Our showing year started in April with a couple of unrecognized or C-rated shows. In May, we started to get serious–Sugartown, St. Christopher’s, Radnor–leading up to Devon. June was busy with something every week–Upperville, Ox Ridge, Fairfield–but in July and August we showed only intermittently (my trainer thought it was too hot to show.) By September when we kids started school again, we were mostly prepping for indoors (often as not at home.) After MSG (or Toronto for some)the year was over.

The older campaigners were turned out for several months. Some of the younger ones went hunting. Others went out on trails (known in those days as “going cross-country”) Though horses were started younger than they are now and routinely jumped higher, they certainly didn’t seem to break down as often.

Speaking of great working hunters, does anyone remember Not Always (also with Rodney), Please Note, and Cowardly Lion (maybe not quite as good as the other two, but I always loved his name. )?

dublin, is the Westlake Eq. Ctr. the old Coto de Casa center? Hmmmm, and where my dear is your hat? These are great pictures!! Wish I could figure out my scanner like the other poster.

Ya’ll keep it going! I don’t have anything to say since I’m not “dated,” but I think it’s interesting anyway

For those of you from the NY area, did any of you know Roger and Judy Young?

~~Megan~~

[This message was edited by Rockford on Mar. 26, 2001 at 11:02 PM.]

We didn’t have A/A and no Novice, Long Stirrup, Short Stirrup, Baby or Pre Green.
There were the Juniour Divisions, A/O, 1st and 2nd Year Green, and Regular Hunters with of course the Conformation divisions.
Hermes, Prix de Nations, Stubbens, Passiers, Kieffers. Flat was coming in and knee rolled saddles were going out.
The Velvet collars were coming in and round or rolled bridles were very hot.
My mare was very small so I use to buy thin double bridles from the Saddlebred people and use part of it as a thin stitched snaffle bridle. Complete with fancy stitched cavesson.
Oh and I had been showing with a leather harness in my velvet hardhat since 1965.
My mother bought me one and insisted I wear it when they first came on the market.
I don’t recall anyone showing A or knowing anything showing with the elastic under their chins. They would have been laughed at.

Do shows have handy hunter divisions anymore? That, along with the outside courses, is one of my big memories from the 70’s and early 80’s. I think of that sometimes when I halt after a jump. Seems like I used to be able to halt a lot quicker…
In POny Club we were required to have -and use - the elastic under the chin, but then harnesses were invented, and the big debate was over those plastic chin cups some of them came with…

Yes, the Davies. Laura was best child rider at Devon one year. Pam M, do you know what she’s doing now?