For disc suffers, . . .

This is from one of the spinal newsletters I get (spine-health.com).

While I’m thinking of it, which newsletters or spine/disc websites do you like?

Anyway, poor Eric. They really need to find a way to get discs to grow in again and fluff up. Too bad stem cell research is not supported by all.

Eric Clapton Struggling with Lower Back Pain and Nerve Damage

Posted: 16 Jun 2016 07:46 AM PDT

One of rock ‘n’ roll’s greatest guitar players says that nerve damage and lower back pain have limited his ability to play.

In a recent interview with Classic Rock Magazine, Eric Clapton revealed that he is suffering from peripheral neuropathy. “I’ve had quite a lot of pain over the last year. It started with lower back pain, and turned into what they call peripheral neuropathy – which is where you feel like you have electric shocks going down your leg.”

“[It’s] hard work to play the guitar and I’ve had to come to terms with the fact that it will not improve,” Clapton added.

The 71-year-old guitar legend has released his 23rd album with a promising, first-person title: I Still Do. Clapton supported this album with a brief string of performances in Tokyo. Currently, he has no upcoming tour dates scheduled.

In 2013, the guitarist was forced to cancel several tour dates due to lower back pain. The following year, he discussed retirement in an interview with Uncut Magazine. “The road has become unbearable,” he said. “There are tons of things I’d like to do, but I’m looking at retirement too.”

I would be curious to know if surgery has been considered and if it had, why it hasn’t been pursued.

I had disc degeneration with associate lower leg pain that was slowly getting worse. Had “spacers” inserted which helped immensely for the pain.

Oh, so sorry for you, WMW, but also so very glad it helped!

Do spacers need to go with a fusion, do you know?

Some people (myself included) put off back surgery until you really have no choice. Maybe he is getting to that point? My PT the other day said it is “a throw of the dice” on if it helps or not. She said some it does and others regret it terribly.

In the ‘MYOB’ category, the origin of the whole “mess” :slight_smile: but, I had a severe J curve scoliosis in my lumbar spine that was degenerating (i.e., both space between vertebra and curve itself).

Spacers L1-L5, fusion T10-S1 :eek:

Results weren’t what I was wishing and hoping for but I have to keep reminding myself that I am better off where I am now than where I was…

I had gone to a Feldenkrais practitioner who was able to keep me off the table for close to 10 years but it finally degenerated beyond what she could help with :frowning:

I remember that, WMW, - some nice but some craziness, too. The other side of COTH. :rolleyes:

Eeeesh, dear, you poor thing! Big hugs! Well, great that it kinda worked a bit for you. That is a good amount of discs, for sure, which I suppose is how it is in scoliosis. (I tore my L2-S1, in addition to a trashed neck with stenosis from working in a physical job.)

Awesome on the Feldenkrais. I need to learn more as I only know the little bit my PTs taught me.

Sometimes I try to tell myself that it is normal. As we all get older, we all get terrible discs and they may even autofuse at certain levels. If you look at x-rays of older folk (70s or so) many have greatly reduced disc space and just terrible looking backs but, frequently enough, no pain. Somehow this keeps my mind more relaxed about it. I’m passing that over to you, as perhaps some of those thoughts might help you cope better with it mentally.

Feldenkrais depends on the modality. There is Awareness Through Movement which is probably what your PT was mentioning.

I did Functional Integration and worked with a certified Feldenkrais practitioner.

I would recommend you only work with a certified practitioner if you choose to pursue Feldenkrais.

http://www.feldenkrais.com

:slight_smile:

Thank you very, very much, WMW! Will do.

Any any other questions, etc feel free to PM me (yes, I promise to be more responsive to PMs :wink: )

I did work with a Feldenkrais practitioner after my surgery who was more focused on the Awareness Through Movement modality and “sold” lessons that you could purchase and work through and re-do and learn over and over. That might be an option for you.

An interesting thought for all who might stumble over this thread… I knew someone many years ago who’d had, as I recall, disc surgery after holding off for many years. She made a comment to me that has stuck with me to this day.

All back surgery is elective (excluding, of course, emergent surgery due to trauma). At some point in your life you may elect to have it.

More from me :slight_smile:

When that choice happens will be different for different people. The reasons for making the choice will be different. Possible side effects and their probability of occurring will be different. One never knows but when quality of life is starting to suffer and you are not doing things you want to because of your back pain/issues, the surgery and associated risks just might be worth it. Also, for those of you who have maybe gotten some viewpoint of my surgery and outcome, please do not think that where I am is “common” or “normal”. I will not go into my medical history so for anyone contemplating back surgery of any kind, get second and third opinions. Research. Think. Review possible side effects before you sign the paperwork. Think. Talk to others remembering that each of us is different. If you don’t trust your surgeon, talk to others. Research your surgeon (yeah, you can do a reasonable amount of that). Research the hospital. Ask your surgeon questions. Talk to both orthopedic and neurosurgeons :wink: (there is some medical religion here).

Once you have made the decision, try not to look back on what decision you should have made but didn’t. So many examples of hindsight but, unfortunately, most of us are not gifted with foresight :slight_smile:

Thanks, WMW. ^^^^^ Awesome post.