Unlimited access >

For fun: Heart Bloodlines?

So we’ve all heard of bloodlines to avoid when looking at a horse - the ones known to be sensitive, difficult, pro-ride, etc - but what about the bloodlines that make you sit up straight when you’re looking at a pedigree of a horse you’re considering? What name do you have to see to make your heart skip a beat and think ‘Oh this horse, this one I’d like to ride’? For me it would have to be Art Deco/Samber, but I’m curious what other bloodlines people have a soft spot for!

Probably not what you are looking for.

Pure Davenport Arabians, a small breeding group going back to the 1907 importation from the “desert” (not the Arabian desert) by Homer Davenport.

I have sworn never to own a horse again (too old, too crippled, not rich enough.) However if a pure Davenport Arabian showed up badly needing rescue I probably would sacrifice the financial stability of the rest of my life–just because they can be such GOOD horses!

3 Likes

The most incredible TBs I have ever known have had Verbatim up close: https://www.pedigreequery.com/verbatim

Although seeing as how he died in 1991, it’s getting increasingly rare to see him anywhere on the page.

4 Likes

Small sample size here: I have a Corlando mare whom I adore- smart, good brain, great jump. You don’t see him too commonly but I would have another one of his babies in a heartbeat. He passed a few years ago but I think there is still some frozen semen

2 Likes

One of my fellow boarders has an Art Deco baby (coming 5). Gorgeous mare with a very silly personality. And boy can she move.

1 Like

My barn had an Art Deco mare who was a dream! Very good disposition and very sweet.

2 Likes

I’d consider it in the spirit! I had to look up what Davenport arabs were, and Oh my goodness! Those are some beautiful horses! They look a bit how I imagined the Black Stallion - excellent conformation and built to work!

1 Like

He’s gorgeous! Very stocky compared to some TBs and I love the strong back. I hope at least a few descendants carry on his line! I count myself very lucky that Art Deco was such a prolific sire.

What a lovely stallion! Is your mare a hunter or a jumper? He certainly had the tuck for the derbies I think!

Haha the Art Decos definitely combine silly and athletic. Is your fellow boarder’s mare focused on dressage or jumping? AD babies usually have a great jump too; super round and fun to ride (not to mention they are KEEN to the fences!!)

I love it!

She is destined to be a hunter and “silly and athletic” is a perfect description. She’s turned out with my mare and it’s always a hoot to go catch mine because Paris is so fond of playing games.

1 Like

There is an aged pinto Art Deco stallion at my barn (out of a black P line Trak mare). Sweet, sensitive, intelligent and could jump the moon. Feet like dinner plates and – has never needed shoes. His stall and pen are right next to the wash stall and never a bit of nonsense.

1 Like

Fabriano…LOVE him.

1 Like

There were many sons of Doc Bar that were very nice, but maybe Docs Hickory was one of the better minded of them.
Doc Bar lines developed a reputation as needing a bit more of a skilled hand than most.
Docs Hickorys may have been one of the exceptions, many amenable, few quirks, polite horses.
If looking for where that came from, maybe an Old Sorrel set of genes was a steadying part in that mix.

Have a grandson of Docs Hickory thru his dam that reflects that Steady Eddie, sweet, cooperative nature while still quick and athletic when asked for.

Docs Hickory on a pedigree rarely disappoints:

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/docs+hickory

2 Likes