Unlimited access >

For those of you with a well

Well water only here as well.

I’m going to be honest. It sucks. Like really sucks. No water pressure, we run out of water all the time (now it will run out but come back on 15 mins later once the pump catches up). We have a filtration system on it as well as we have a lot of iron in our water and it ruins everything. But we don’t have enough water to even do a proper flush of our water softener every day.

We have had well guys out and they have tried to fix it and have replaced the pump, but it has not fixed it at all. We have to make decisions every day on what to do - water the horses, do laundry or have a shower?? Take your pick as we can only do one thing a day. A lot of planning and its not fun.

We are going to get a water tank put in our basement (dirt basement) that can be trickle fed so we can store some water. But this is even tough as our water will run out even if its on super low.

We came from a farm that also always ran out of water. We had to have a water truck come every week to dump water into our well. So have had water problems for over 20 years now and its not fun at all…

But I know of a lot of people that don’t have any problems on a well…

@DiamondJubilee People frack their under producing wells here, perhaps something to consider?

2 Likes

This.
Because the typical public water system frowns heavily on people having the same piping system connected to both a private well and their public system.

(Now clearly, there are ways to make this work but … )

Last house we were on a well. When we purchased our generator running the well pump was the priority.

This house we are public water.

After a lifetime of City water & City Water Bills, I moved to my farmette & have both a well & septic
Water pressure is just as good as anywhere I’ve ever lived.
My well water is very high in iron, but otherwise not unpleasant tasting.
I keep a Brita pitcher in the fridge for visitors who might taste a difference. I don’t & drink straight from the tap.
I got a new water softener over 10yrs ago & salt consumption dropped drastically.
Where I used to routinely buy at least 1 40# bag every couple of weeks, I now go months.

Friends in a more rural area have a well that draws sulfur. Their tap water is undrinkable.
Maybe that’s the root of your DH’s phobia?

no fracking around here.

We were told our well has a lot of water in it but it recovers too slowly. The pump draws from the top of the well and it can’t recover fast enough so it just stops/shuts off. Then comes back on in 15 mins but stops again after a few mins of running water. All day long…

I lived in Pennsylvania for over 45 years, most of which were on properties with wells.

I now live in the very rural South, and have a well on the property, as well as access to a spring and public water. Water here gets scarce during certain seasons, so city water is very practical.

I can tell you this- if you have a well as your sole source of water you absolutely need a generator. I lived through major hurricanes and superstorms and have been without electric for as long as 10 days due to Hurricane Sandy. Throughout the 10 day outage, we need to water 100 hogs and 3 horses. Our days were focused around where we could get water, how long it would take, and hauling and putting water out for animals.

Our current farm has city water even though we are way back a one lane tar and chip holler, 8 miles from the nearest town. We actually have 2 public water hook ups- one for the farm itself and livestock as it is its own entity, and one for the house.

Another caveat- if you have small children, you need to take fluoridation into account. Most municipal water sources are treated with fluoride, which makes a huge difference with tooth quality, especially in children. Well water is not!

Some well water tastes incredible. Some wells do not. Well water can still be filtered and treated to make it taste better.

Do you mean there’s no fracking for oil or natural gas?

That slow refill is exactly why wells are fracked. Yeah, there’s no big oil/gas fracking around here, either. I was also surprised there’s a legitimate use for fracking outside of that!

You’re in Ontario? Here’s one outfit!

https://www.ontariowaterwellfracturing.com/

3 Likes

Every house I have lived in for the last 40 years has been on well water. In the current house, the well water is very hard, and we have a water softener. Also the house I grew up in from age 11 was on a well. (The only times I WASN’T on well water were before I was 11, while I was in college and grad school, and the first year after grad school, when I was in an apartment.)

Only one of those houses had a generator. In all the others, if there was no electricity the well pump didn’t work, so we couldn’t get any water form the well, but I don’t remember it being a problem. I DO intend to get a generator, but I need to get “a round tuit”.

We have never had any problems with running out of well water (this included a major drought in the 1960s). The only times we had low water pressure was if there was a leak, or if the well pump needed to be replaced.

One house was built with a well, but then they installed municipal water along that street. They put a LOT of pressure on us (and all our neighbors) to switch to municipal water, but we never did.

What happened to your husband to give him PTSD about well water?

ETA the house I grew up in had TWO fire hydrants that were fed by our well.

We bought this place as “undeveloped” land. No buildings. Rural/semi remote. But we came from a farm with a good well that did 14 gallons/minute, so were not too scared about drilling a well here. The neighbour, who we employed with his excavator to do some of the first work on the property (put in the driveway, etc) told us “There’s lotsa water around here, no problem”. He pointed up on the hillside, where an obvious patch of poplar was growing in the middle of a fir forest… a spring. As we further explored the property we now owned, we found other springs. In a “semi arid” area, we have LOTS of water. When the well was drilled, the water came bursting out the ground, spurting up several feet, and started to flood the surrounding area. Artesian well, 60 feet deep hit the motherload. Had to make an emergency call to another neighbour with a backhoe to rush over here to dig a ditch to channel the water away from our building site and down to the lower level/creek that runs through the middle of the farm. I looked at the DH and said, “I don’t know much about drilling wells, but I think that this is a VERY good thing”. It was. They figure it spews about 60 gallons per minute, non stop, for the last 15 years. I’m planning on having a fish pond dug at some point on that lower level to do something with all this water that is nice and useful. The water is clear and cold, and tastes great. It does have some mineral content, but we can deal with that. The water at our old farm was good too, but when I took horses in to the track to race, the water in Vancouver was so chlorinated that they would not drink it. I couldn’t face drinking it either… it’s so horrific. I had to pack well water from the farm so that they would drink. These days, I often pack water from the farm when I go to a show, again, just so that they won’t have to drink horrible water, or worse yet they refuse to drink the horrible treated water that is all you can get in cities these days. So I am big on well water.

“Water is the new gold”. When you are looking at property, look for water FIRST. If you have no water, or bad water, or limited water, it’s a shit piece of property… walk away, don’t buy it. Look for poplar groves, where there is poplar, there is water. We have water rights on that spring on the hillside.

We have a propane fueled generator which kicks in if we lose power, because our heating system is a wood fired outdoor boiler, which heats our house and our hot water (for free), but does have pumps to move the water. And since it does get COLD here in winter, it is crucial that we do have power, or else everything freezes, including us. So, IF the power goes out, we still have water, and heat, the generator automatically kicks in. The power doesn’t go out here very often (usually only if someone runs their vehicle into a power pole out on the highway), apparently the power plant down the road can route power through several different routes if there’s a problem somewhere, but we are still glad that we have the generator.

1 Like

Sorry, I was confused on what you were asking. I have never heard of this before!!! I’m so glad I posted on here. I have reached out to them and hope to get a call about this and my husband and I are super interested in this.

We have shocked our well, changed our pump, checked 1,000,000 times that nothing is leaking somewhere underground and had a well guy out to check to see how much water is coming out (he was the original well guy who drilled it in the 70’s (yes the 200 year old house did not have indoor plumbing until the 70s - so had all the info on it, which was pretty neat). I don’t remember the #'s but it was less than half of the water output that it was in the 70’s and is even worse now, so he knew there was some sort of issue. I want to say it was testing around 2.5 a few years ago.

1 Like

I hope they’re able to really improve things for you! :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

A friend had his slow well fracked here and it was life changing for him!

We have both town water and a well. The system is set up so we could run everything off the town water, everything off the well, or split things up. We have it set up so the house runs off town water but the irrigation and the barn runs from the well water.

No issues so far with well water or pressure, despite the drought we’ve had. We have a really high water table - don’t know if that makes a difference or not. Still trying to be conservative with water use though for the greater good. :slight_smile:

It does seem like we have a lot of iron around here so I’ve been thinking of getting filters for the barn water.

I guess it depends on where you live? In MN one place the water was basically undrinkable due to sulfur ( i believe) and a good water softener made all the difference.

All our other farms had real good water and if you have an adequate pressure tank you will have better consistent pressure than any " city water" and no chlorine taste :nauseated_face:

1 Like

We are on city water but can drill a well if we want to have both; we’re just out of city limits but the city water system started enveloping nearby areas. We have two creeks nearby and irrigation rights out of one creek but we’d like a well for irrigating the pastures and outside use. I like our city water; it’s from a local dam off the creek and I don’t mind the slight bleach essence at all. We’ve had wells that drew from Missouri River backwater and the water was awful; had hard water, had slow wells… I’m ok with city water but like the free for all of the well too. Right now it appears someone in times past disconnected our outside hydrants from the city water meter so we actually have the best of all worlds until someone from the city figures it out. We bought it like this and it’s just a hunch my husband has… so until then, pastures and yard are nice and green.

1 Like

I’ve spent most of my life living on wells. Rural areas, farms, etc. Lived on an island where we got our water from the bay and filtered it - that was the best tasting water.

The water where we live now is awful. Extremely hard, iron, sulfur, and incredibly high sodium levels. Tastes like the ocean. An RO filter is needed to make it tolerable. SO refuses to drink it and buys water instead. We’ve learned that we have to buy high end fixtures, etc. The water just eats away at the cheap ones.
If the nearby town ever offered to run city water here we would hook up in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Our horses are on a neighbor’s field all summer with well water. It is the most wonderful water. COLD, fresh, delicious. We are in central AL sitting on a massive limestone shelf. We are on city water here, but I would be fine on well water - honestly our house needs a whole house filter we have so much mineral and lime scale from the city water.

1 Like

I grew up on well water, and still have it. 28 years! Most of the boarding facilities I’ve been at are on city water. The only benefit to city water for me is having water during a power outage. But that’s it. If the ground water near you tests within reasonable limits, and doesn’t stink, I’d say go for it!

I love my well. Great pressure, and the pump is hung at 25’. I installed a whole house filter last winter. I bought it on Amazon, and other than locally sourcing the damn fittings (the supply chain crisis is real) it was a piece of cake. My waster has always tasted pretty good, but it’s even better now.

We are on a well
With a water softener system.
We also hooked up
The well
With a pig tail
Plugged into the wall instead of hard wired so we can plug it into a generator…
Because Florida

1 Like

We live just on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment, and wells can be problematic. A lot of the old farms around here had cisterns because you can’t just “dig” a well on a limestone karst! Our house is about 150 yrs old, and well was drilled in 1999. It’s only 60 ft deep, we have lots of water, great flow. It is hard, but nothing the water softener can’t deal with… Tastes fine.
Our neighbour built a new house and had to drill 200 ft before he hit water!

2 Likes