Unlimited access >

For those of you with a well

Is it your only source of water or are you on city water also? I was telling my hubs we could do a well only if the water pressure and water is good and he was horrified. I think he has PTSD growing up with his grandpas rural water well.

We only have a well … we do run the water for house and barn through a filtering system and our water is great.

3 Likes

No city water here. Semi rural. Deep well. Sucks when things like hurricanes kill the power but I can’t imagine the cost the city / county would levy to come through and run water. Every time there is a hurricane. I fill up every available trough to the brim. Longest we were without power and had no well was 2004 for nearly 2 1/2 weeks. Flushed house toilets with pool water. And bathed in the hot tub. Wasn’t ideal but you do what you have to to survive.

P S water quality here is good. I know it varies. When I was in south Florida in the early 80’s the barn was on a well. This was before bottled water and honestly my parents didn’t give much thought about dropping an 11 year old off at camp from 8-6. The water tasted like a hot liquid fart. :face_vomiting:. So much sulfur. I was the most dehydrated child alive for 3 summers.

4 Likes

A generator would have worked for the well?

7 Likes

Yes. We chose air conditioningsnd fridge. It was August. 95 degrees

3 Likes

We have a well only. There is no city water available here if you live outside city limits.

Wells can be wonderful or dreadful depending on your area’s geology, so there is a good reason why he may be PTSD. Here our water is good for the most part.

1 Like

No city water. We have both a deep well and a shallow well. The plan has always been to re-work the plumbing with a manifold so we could water the livestock and the garden from the shallow well and save the deep well for the house, but like many things, that hasn’t happened. So for now, everything runs off the deep well through a canister filter.

We have a special electrical panel with a bypass that lets a generator power the garage and well house, so we have water in a power outage.

We lost power for several days during hurricane Irma. They were getting antsy at three days (apparently this is when civilization begins to fall apart) but we were fine… it wasn’t that hot, we had the generator running the water and fridge/freezers and a propane grill and burners outside.

1 Like

Well only. Water is great.
Longest we were ever without power and hence water was hurricane Sandy. 8 days. Boarding barn 40 miles away had water so I brought it home
Cold sponge baths got old fast.

2 Likes

Only a well, in a semi-rural location, and the water is run through a sediment filter at the well.

When we think there’s a chance of an extended power outage, we fill bathtubs with water in the house, and extra troughs for the horses in the barn and paddock. Always have plenty of bottled water in the house, and the water tank we take when horse camping is kept full in the barn. But we’ve never had to use the emergency supplies, including during aftermaths of a hurricane and tropical storms, although we do gradually drink the bottled water in order to turn over the supply.

Our water comes from a limestone-filtered aquifer and is delicious.

1 Like

I was on a well for over 20 years. Deep well, no filtration needed, water was wonderful (no taste at all) and cold. Now on city water which I filter for drinking because it always smells like chlorine. :frowning:

4 Likes

We have two wells and access to city water. We haven’t bothered to pay to hook up to city water. Only the “new” well is in use. The old well has water, but needs repairs in order to function correctly.

We have two generators.

In some areas near me, it’s not uncommon for city water to be turned off in advance of tropical weather systems.

city water but we could drill a well by city permitted only since are also on city sewers

Do have a fire hydrant in the front yard that is on a 8 inch main line

Well only here.

Was without power for 28 days after Katrina, and had to get water several miles away at a friend’s house for the first several days. Then hooked up a portable generator to the house, and had water again. Now I have a whole-house generator.

A friend in the next block has city water, and she lost her water after Katrina when the water company’s generators ran out of fuel.

2 Likes

Well only too. We did add a whole house generator to run the well pump, key lights/appliances.

1 Like

Wells here run about $75k with a six month waiting list.

Whhhaaa? Are you blasting thru granite?

2 Likes

Nope, just flat farmland. There’s quite the almond mafia in place, it’s pretty scary.

1 Like

Well only here! The vast majority of people in this and the surrounding towns are on wells. The funny thing is that I live in (and have worked for as well) the watershed for the public water supply that is the source for close to a million people in the state. My company loyalty only goes so far: city water tastes HORRIBLE.
Wells are very dependent on the geology. Our well has pretty neutral water for the area, it is about 120 ft deep and has a good rate. We don’t need any sort of filter. A well about 2000 ft away, similar depth, is in a different rock formation. That water Eats pipes and they go through filters at an insane rate and their rate per minute is far less.
A generator is sort of taken as read, no generator, no water once the big pressure tanks in the house run out. When we didn’t have a generator, as soon as a storm was coming up that might knock out power: fill the bathtubs, fill some buckets, and make sure all toilets are flushed if needed. One problem with well water is that the water pressure can be much lower than that of a public utility, which means that certain types of irrigation systems or sprinklers don’t work as expected.
Going rate to drill a new well here (Connecticut) is easily going to be 10,000 to 20,000. If you run a well dry in this area, you are almost certainly going to be drilling a new well. Granted it is hard to run one dry, but possible. I find I am very respectful of my well. I get why millenia ago people made offerings to the old gods at wells!

1 Like

There are going to be very few who have city water AND a well.

We had shit water pressure here when we moved in. Had the well guy out…the well pump was undersized for the depth of the well. So we replaced it with a bigger one and dropped it a little further just for giggles, and pressure is now gangbusters. Our well is 1000 ft deep, the pump sits at about 750. The water tastes great.

A good well guy is important. So is a generator. No power, no water. If the water tastes bad, a filter system is a good investment.

3 Likes

Well only here. Our water has a bit of a sulfur taste and smell, which my husband can’t detect but I sure do. I buy bottled water for drinking and making coffee. The well water is fine for cooking. I do have to say I miss my city water.

3 Likes