For those that broke their ankle

How long did it take you to be able to ride again? Today makes two months since I broke mine after getting bucked off and had to have two screws surgically put in.
also for anyone that may have broken the left (like mine) how did you handle mounting and dismounting?

I broke my left ankle (and fibula) many years ago.

I was unable to ride for close to a month. I got surgery to put screws in and they put a cast on my leg that ended mid-calf, but my fibula break was up by my knee. So I tried to ride a week after surgery and the angle of my leg/cast against the saddle made my fibula creak and crack (ugh) and so I that ruled that out. When they removed the cast (3 weeks post-surgery) I was back on a horse the next day. But I was also in a bit of a panic because I was pregnant and trying to get my horse ready for the bigger jumper classes in a time frame where I would be healed enough ankle-wise and not too pregnant to get to show. So I may have pushed myself more than I would have otherwise.

I mounted like I do on my no-stirrups horses (jump up, lean over, and then swing leg over). And I rode without a left stirrup for maybe a month? And then often dropped my left stirrup (or both stirrups) for a long time after that. For dismounting I either did it normally and landed almost entirely on my right foot, or I would dismount at my mounting block where I could step down onto my right foot.

But the amount of time it took to get back to normal was a lot longer. I think it took about a year?

1 Like

Wow I’m amazed you were able to get back on a month later! I was in to much pain to even think about that at the time haha. I’m still having to use two crutches to walk. Thanks for the tip on mounting once I’m able, I never thought to do it as if I were riding bareback.

I broke my left ankle and had 2 screws put in it in November 2011. I hopped on my horse with no stirrups once the swelling went down, but wasn’t able to ride for long because if my leg wasn’t elevated my ankle started to swell and hurt.

I couldn’t manage to ride until the screws came out in November 2012 because the screws were significantly limiting my range of motion and caused a lot of pain when I put weight in my heels while riding. I started riding within 2 or so months of my screws coming out, I think I waited until my calf muscles were at a normal strength for just walking.

For me, it wasn’t when I could start riding that I was worried about, but how long I could ride was the biggest issue I faced for quite some time. For the first few years, depending on the horse, saddle/stirrups, and weather, I would have to stop and stretch my ankles because they would get stiff/tight. It didn’t hurt but was uncomfortable. In super cold weather, I still get some ankle tightness but it has been so long since that has happened.

My physical therapist was also a horse person and I think that really helped me get back into riding shape a lot quicker, since we focused a lot on leg, hip, and ab workouts during my sessions. Honestly, I was in my best riding shape while in PT even though I only went once a week towards the end.

For a while, I would dismount at the mounting block so I didn’t have to “jump” down or pull on my horse’s back. My current horse is 17.1 and I’m 5’. I don’t use the mounting block to discount anymore so I bend my knees when I hit the ground so my ankles don’t have to act like the only shock absorbers.

I recently had a PEMF treatment done on my left ankle and wish I had known about it while in physical therapy. I didn’t feel anything when getting treated but I rode immediately after the session and had more range of motion and no pain in my ankle. If I break another bone, I would add weekly PEMF sessions to my recovery plan.

The other issue I faced was tight muscles in my entire leg, both lower and upper legs. I spent a lot of time stretching in PT because of how tight everything was, especially in my right leg since it had to carry my entire weight. Foam rolling and lots of stretching are important. I use a half foam roller at work to stand on to keep my calf muscles and ankles flexible, which has made a BIG difference in my riding since my injury.

Ever since breaking my ankle, I started experiencing issues with Restless Leg Syndrome. I’ve tried everything but the only thing that has really helped keep that away is physical activity and/or massage therapy. I managed to get a doctor’s order for massages so my HSA will pay for my sessions.

I had a broken left ankle and surgery a few years back it took me 3 months because of swelling but when I mounted, I just did it from the right side. First two times I had a helper hold my horse but after that, he was fine with it