Unlimited access >

Former FEI President Princess Haya Flees UAE With Her Children

According to the Australian Sun, Haya hadn’t been seen in public since February, and showjumping stables owned by Maktoum were shuttered last week. Another one of his daughters hasn’t been seen in nineteen years.

The Australian Sun is a Murdoch publication.

Yes, sounds like the route they’d like to take this country. After all I’m sure he’s a great man, and we would ship them back, invite the husband over and sell him nuclear weapons, arms. Oil.

Lets remove the religion for a moment and group them as scumbags of the earth. We have plenty of white Christian ones over here. How many dead women and children appear on our news every week?

I hope they are safe, what a courageous move.

26 Likes

Stop blaming this sort of thing on Islam. Blame it on the culture in which these men were raised.

We have the same sort of thing going on here in a different format in several Southern states. Men controlling women.

40 Likes

Although to be fair, she has ‘powers of state and military’ - Jordan, in this case - behind her too.

Not shedding any tears for royals here. It’s time we got rid of these self-appointed parasites for good.

3 Likes

Her grandfather was s US citizen and very influential and politically well connected, Hallaby IIRC. Mom was raised and educated here. She could conceivably end up over here.

Good for her.

1 Like

Haya is not the daughter of Queen Noor who started out in life as an American called Lisa Halaby. Haya’s mother was pre-Noor and was killed in a plane crash when Haya was very young.

4 Likes

Haya went to Oxford. In England.

1 Like

This is such a sad situation that will likely not have a good ending. Princess Haya is going to live the rest of her life looking over her shoulder and have to be careful of who she trusts. Sheik Mohammed has the power and financial means to handle this however he decides.

4 Likes

^-Sad but true.

And unfathomable wealth and zero consequences.

10 Likes

Another Murdoch publication. It seems that Murdoch owned publications are keeping the story alive.

Guardian story: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/01/dubais-ruler-battles-wife-in-uk-court-after-she-fled-emirate

1 Like

The references in all of the stories about being “returned to Dubai” as if she were a piece of lost luggage … I assume and hope that she is a freely-traveling visitor just like any other. Especially one that owns a large residence in the country.

I hope the house is in her name only and she has independent means on which she can travel and live. (Or whatever her residence would be called, given the price tag.)

Also I’m confused - pretty sure earlier linked articles said the family is from the UAE, but the latest article linked says Dubai? They are not the same place.

1 Like

Sheikh Mohammed is the vice president and PM of the UAE and is also the ruler of the Emirate of Dubai.

1 Like

Dubai is one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates. Abu Dhabi is another, and I’d never heard of the other five. AFAIK, they are all ruled independently by their sheikhs and only united in their dealings with the outside world, primarily relating to oil, and that only sometimes. They have a native (citizen) population of 1.4 million or so and an imported working population of 7.8 million–or so. From what has been written in the press in the past, it appears that their contract workers on visas are often treated quite terribly and are sometimes close to slaves.

4 Likes

The DM is not a Murdoch outlet.

1 Like

It’s in The Guardian as well now. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/01/dubais-ruler-battles-wife-in-uk-court-after-she-fled-emirate

What a fcking ignorant and inflammatory thing to say. NOTHING about Islam supports violence towards women. Read a book or expose yourself to actual Muslims some time.

28 Likes

It’s headline news on the BBC World Service today.

Also, Sheikh Mo responded to this by WRITING A POEM AND POSTING IT ON INSTAGRAM.

It is said to be a not-very-good poem.

I would think that being a victim of bad poetry would be a reason for getting automatic asylum just about anywhere.

It’s also true that having 31 million GBP can’t protect you from the ravages of mediocre verse.

6 Likes

To be fair, the poem was posted on an account “possibly attributed” to Sheikh Mohammed. Tabloid trash and its fallout knows no international boundaries!

1 Like

This is true. Every religion has members that take writings from their “holy book” and twist them for their own purposes (most often to justify oppression or violence against others), Christianity included.

Religious extremism is the problem, not any one religion.

23 Likes