Unlimited access >

Foster: pooping problems

I have a foster kitty with a few different problems. He came with ringworm, and I think we almost have that conquered. He also came with diarrhea. The big problem is that he rarely uses the litter box. He is isolated in my room because of the ringworm, and he just poops everywhere. I bought a big litter box and even tried a new litter. I really would like to adopt this guy, Augie, but it would be really nice if he’d use the litter box.

Has he had a vet workup for the diarrhea? Most of the cats I’ve had with issues using the litterbox start using it again when the medical issue resolves.

I did try various natural litters once and that’s the only time my cats refused to use it and did their business in a cardboard box. That was a short lived trial. I went to the store and bought their usual stuff.

If he is still or was feeling pain during bowel movements that may be why he’s not using the box.

Have you picked up some of the mess on the floor and put it in the litter box? Leave the poop in it for a day or two without cleaning it, hopefully he will follow the scent and start doing his business in the litter. Make sure and use a deoderizer like Nature’s Miracle on the accident spots on the floor.