Unlimited access >

Fostering kittens - You can do it

I use these panels. Works for about 5 weeks. My last mama kept taking them out. So they got free rein of room sooner than I like. They’re safe, but I like litter box use to be firmly ingrained before freedom

4 Likes

Those are tespo panels (tespo it’s just one of many brand names). I flip them up on the tall side when it’s just kittens, that helps detain their terrorist selves for a bit longer. #butnotmuch. Mostly I’m trying to fence off the door so I have a fighting chance to get in without escapees!

4 Likes

Someday I will have a house where I can have a room just for cats.

Oh wait.

I have that now.

6 Likes

The humane society put out a call for help a couple of days ago due to the number of animals in their care so I sent in a foster application.

Her name is Boom. I didn’t name her, lol. I picked her up this afternoon at 4. She’s recovering from an URI.

Very sweet!! And tiny! I forgot how little babies are.

18 Likes

What a doll. Love torties

4 Likes

She looks like an adorable little gremlin. You can tell she definitely has tortie-tude. She is little - how old is she?

3 Likes

Without seeing her, I’d guess maybe 6 weeks. But I’m not an expert.

1 Like

On her paperwork she’s listed @ 2.2 pounds and six weeks old.

@CindyB59 you’re good… :joy:

2 Likes

So cute!! And she looks like a sweetie too. Might be high risk of a foster fail. :laughing:

1 Like

@ravenclaw, she is so sweet! Loves attention, playful, just precious… but I can’t fail on my first one in 10 years! Lol

1 Like

Our foster kitten has had zero inquiries. Miggy is adorable, what’s up? Do experienced foster folks find brown kitties with no white harder to place? He’s the last of 14…

10 Likes

You know, there’s never a good way to guess. One year oranges got snapped up, next year they languished. But from my own experience, blacks are hardest, then plain tabbies, especially I’d short haired. Calico get spoken for quickly, as do ones with Siamese markings.

I had one solid black, short haired girl get spoken for only because she was talkative.

You just never know

3 Likes

I’m sorry. I always got aggravated when the sweetest cats and kittens were overlooked because of the color or lack of.

I think he’s adorable and I hope that someone who appreciates brown tabbies comes along soon.

4 Likes

I know the rescue is the one listing him, but as a marketing person, the public loves an animal with a unique, sad or interesting back story—something they can tell their friends and post on social media while bragging about their new pet. It’s why people line up to adopt dogs who get publicity because someone shot them, or for other tragic reasons.

Can you possibly write up Miggy’s hard luck story emphasizing mom’s abandonment when they sold the property to you, etc.? Really go for the emotional punches! Also include his special qualities that will make him stand out as an individual.

And if you can take a ridiculous picture of him (tiny hat, trying to fit in a tiny box—go crazy!), that will catch people’s attention and make them stop and read his profile.

5 Likes

Ms. Boom graduated to the guest bedroom today. She needed more room to run around in and hopefully miss landing in the water bowl.

She’s so sweet… she laid on my chest and groomed herself and me. My face won’t need exfoliation for a week. :joy:

17 Likes

What a cutie! :heart: Will your other cats get to meet her?

3 Likes

She is precious!

Clearly you all jinxed me with this thread. Friend found a small cat in the shed in her backyard. Her husband moved some of the stuff out of the way to discourage cat from staying, cat took off. I asked if there were kittens, nope, no sign of anything. She was hoping cat was a male, I’m thinking to myself I bet there are kittens somewhere.

Sure enough a few hours later, guess what has been found? He was under a shelf, must have slipped under it or fell off the upper shelf and rolled out of reach. No sign of any others, so either mama had already moved them or he is a solo baby.

Sigh. Their dog was going ballistic, both parents work full time and they have 8 yr old twins. Guess who is now being bottle fed here? :woman_facepalming:t3:

18 Likes

OMG! These baby kitties are taking me back five years, when I fostered Dot and her two sisters! I love these babies!

2 Likes

He’s a wee one!! He’s lucky he got found. Thanks for taking him in and helping him. :heart:

5 Likes