Unlimited access >

Founder in older gelding

What is the FB group called ? My horse is doing much better now. I cut back on the Prascend and I am giving him Chastetree berry . He is also on Enrich, Remission, and Flax. I don’t soak his hay anymore and he’s on a small pasture with grass kept short. Seems like the only time he was sore was when an abscess was developing. So far its been 3 weeks and no abscesses.

Thanks, I will look that up.

Hey, OP. I’ve also got an old timer with Cushing’s, so I’m right on board with you.

I’m curious though: was your horse actually tested for Cushing’s? If so, and if he does, in fact, have it, why are you cutting back on the Prascend? Does the vet feel that the dose should be lowered for some reason?

And are you still using the vet who thinks grass seeds are “just like corn”?

I ask all this because a horse that actually has Cushing’s will need pergolide for life, regardless of symptoms. The fact that your old fellow is feeling better (yay!) without a lot of side effects (yay!) would, to most people, mean that your dosing is just about right as it is.

8 Likes

Been there, hated that. OP, so glad you are seeing improvement. Read all you can at the ECIR and Fb sites. Acth levels fluctuate over the year even when using Prascend. Don’t trust that a lower level is permanent. Chasteberry is popular, but during my PPId/founder journey there hadn’t been any studies showing that it actually made a difference. My heart settled when I read David Ramey dvm here https://www.doctorramey.com/laminitis/
Mine never got better enough, but not for lack of trying. Your milage may very, and it appears better already. Wishing you strength.

1 Like

Thankyou ! He got trimmed yesterday and is walking like he has new feet. Thanks for the Ramey link, will read it as soon as I can. I don’t know where I found the info on Chasteberry but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try it. He is out on the side pasture now and I’m keeping him on his diet. Thanks <3

No, different vet, had to find one that had an xray machine. I didn’t think he was acting right on the 1 mg so he just gets half plus the C. B. and a couple other supplements that I decided to try. Yes, he was tested . And, yes they told me that also…(prascend for life) but we’ll see. He has not needed any pain pills either in a month so I am really hoping this continues !

Best of luck to you!

My guy is now completely pain free as well, and is essentially his cranky, lovable old self. For us, Prascend has been something close to a miracle drug. I’m glad it’s working for you too.

2 Likes

If he’s on Prascend, yes, it will hurt to try, as it will very likely interfere with the pergolide.

2 Likes

My husband hollered out to me today to look at my horse running and bucking in the pasture !!! So happy !

1 Like

Well, now a year later my horse started losing too much weight and I couldn’t get him to gain so I put him back on Prascend. So weird that he went from being overweight to too thin. The other thing I’ve noticed is it seems like his hooves are not growing like they used to. What would be a good hoof supplement for that?

I’ve had my foundered Senior horse on 35 mg of Biotin and Mad Barn’s Copper / Zinc supplement for about 6 weeks now. Yesterday my farrier commented favorably on how much hoof he had grown in just the past two weeks.

Horse gets part of Biotin from his RB and some from this supplement for humans https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AMJCHB8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

1 Like

Thankyou !

1 Like