Unlimited access >

Fox, Dog, or Coyote

I caught this on camera. Sorry it’s hard to see the scale, but it’s twice the height of my 20 lb cat when he goes by this camera.

We do have a regular fox, but he is not the same height.
The animal pictured here doesn’t have a white tip, has angular back hocks that resemble a dog, and has very straight front legs. His light stride resembles a fox or coyote.

Anyone have a more experienced opinion?
TIA

1 Like

Not dog. Hard to say without being able assess size / scale. From the back I’d guess fox but could be coyote

3 Likes

If it’s a coyote it has a very nice tail!
Not a domestic dog.

There are also different color phases of fox

This is the best comparison video I could find. The coyote in this video has well defined dog-like paws, like my video. The fox in that video looks like he is wearing little Ugg boots :blush:

I think the neighbors being away for thanksgiving and their Airedale and German Shepard, may have emboldened local wildlife. I’m in the suburbs, it’s very rare to have coyotes here, except on the golf course a 2 miles from me and that was a few years ago.

1 Like

Just a guess: a fox.

1 Like

Yikes, just found this on another camera!
Around the same time

Most definitely a coyote in the second video. We have many of them in our suburban neighbourhood. If you have cats don’t let them roam, and if you have small dogs, don’t let them out in the yard unsupervised. Snatching small animals is really the only threat from coyotes. They are rarely aggressive to humans.

8 Likes

there have been two of my neighbors watch the coyotes jump their fence to grab their small dog then jumped back over the fence taking their dog with them, so just watching your dog really does not prevent a socialized coyote from eating your pup

There is video on YouTube of a farm owner who has several types of small animals and two male ostriches. The ostriches cornered and killed a coyote that was attempting to get one of the goats

4 Likes

Oh gosh. I have two cats. One loves to be outside all day, even sits on the porch during thunder storms.
Here in the burbs, you can’t have chickens, much less Emus, donkeys.

As I said before the two big dogs my neighbors have probably scared him away most of the time.
Clanter, can I borrow Barky? He’d love the weather.
Sadly I joke, as I haven’t enough space to make him happy.

This is a coyote for sure. Not sure about the 1st video but my thought was it was a coyote, didn’t move right for a fox. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They have incredible tails! I don’t own Canada Goo$e coat, but I do own an older Eddie Bauer (or maybe it’s a knock off, I can’t remember) that has an absolutely plush tail on the hood.

There was a video out there a while back that compared the gaits of a dog, fox versus coyote. Only I don’t know where it is these days. The second video is for sure a coyote.

Where are you located? Hybrids are not uncommon in the East. Very pretty, but vermin.

Suburb outside of NYC, not large plots of land. Currently neighbors are renovating houses so trucks, noise, workmen. It’s been 10 or more years since the first coyote was ever spotted here.

It’s a coyote both times.

3 Likes

Update: at least two of them. And we have howling now. I’m beginning to think there is a large family.
And when I warned the neighbor, she said “oh yeah I saw them while walking my dog. And another neighbor was using one of those spiked jackets on her dog”. And I’m thinking why didn’t they warn the other neighbors?

Coyote mother in my previous densely pipulated suburban neighborhood took her pups out one night teaching them to hunt. They killed one cat after another and left the bodies uneaten. Took twelve pet cats including two of mine and one small dog in one night. That is why I will never have an outdoor cat or barn cat again.

Coyotes, at least in the southeast, are an example of an animal species introduced (illegally) into an area for hunting and then breeding and taking over a native species niche.

1 Like

Saw a healthy fox trot across my pasture yesterday, with what looked like a dead rabbit in its mouth.
Wrong time of year to be feeding cubs.

It could be a large family, or it could be the pair just sounds like a whole bunch of them. (Which is something I learned thanks to other coyote threads here!)

Coyotes: Listening to Tricksters

When people hear coyote howls, they often mistakenly assume that they’re hearing a large pack of animals, all raising their voices at once. But this is an auditory illusion called the “beau geste” effect. Because of the variety of sounds produced by each coyote, and the way sound is distorted as it passes through the environment, two of these tricksters can sound like seven or eight animals.

I’m so sorry for your loss. That’s shocking and senseless.

My cats are out 8-9 am to dark.

Sometimes I take the male, who absolutely wants to be out all the time, on a leash for the first outing of the day, for his safety and so we can check the yard together.

He has stayed on the covered porch in thunder storms he likes being out so much.
But he has been rightly slinking around these days and been jumpy.
His sister hates the cold, but is an idiot and unaware and tries to dash out so I’m trying to keep her in all the time.