Unlimited access >

Freestanding panels?

Ok, I understand that a horse can get a puncture wound from a stall mat if they decide to, but has anyone used freestanding livestock panels as semipermanent horse containment or mobile grazing? They don’t LOOK much more hazardous than horse panels and T posts or wood posts to keep them upright. At 500lbs they certainly seem more secure. Once linked together they would be quite difficult to knock over, and the gaps are probably too narrow for a horse to get their head through. I’d like something for stalls in a mare motel while I build a prettier barn, and then I could use these to manage intensive patch grazing in later days.
Talk me down! https://i0.wp.com/www.prairiestatesseed.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/7-bar-20-ft-heavy-duty-freestanding-panel.jpg?resize=1024%2C619&ssl=1

1 Like

Don’t know where you are, but several welders in the SW sell those for portable cattle pens.
When people rent a place that doesn’t has facilities and don’t want to buy the really expensive portable pen sets, they go with those 20’ self standing panels with 4’ cross pieces for legs.
Craigslist has some regularly for sale and people seem to like them for cattle.

Probably fine for horses as long as there is not another horse on the other side that may decide to fight, kick at the fence or push on or over it.
May work ok if you pound a post into the ground where it needs to stay in place, like in corners.

Those look interesting. Obviously wouldn’t work for a round pen where they’d be stepping on the feet, but for to section off grazing I could see it.

Having had a horse get out of panels secured with pins by wiggling them loose, I would be setting some posts at the corners and making sure every section was securely chained together.

Plenty of horses live in welded pipe pens out west, smooth metal doesn’t bother me too much.

They would certainly work, but dang they are heavy. Do you have a tractor to move them around with?

My concern would be if a horse was traveling the fence line and caught a panel “foot” with their own, because…horses…

I have seen YouTube videos of cows getting their head stuck in the bottom footers on some metal panels, but not that type. Probably depends on your horse and their tendency to get in trouble.

1 Like

I’m in New Mexico, Albuquerque area. I think you’re a bit further north, but if you know any particular vendors down this way that make good sturdy panels I’d love to know about them.

This is one business that sells portable self standing panels:

https://jbpipe.net

Is not that far from you, East from Las Cruces/Portales, or they may know a welder around where you are that can make those.
His advantage, he is right by the Midland oilfields, so has access to all kinds of good pipe, cheap.

Your feed store or large implement dealer may know someone.
Welders will make sheds, etc. and advertise those on Craiglist, check there?