Unlimited access >

Freeze Brand Experience

Has anyone ever ordered a custom freeze brand for their horses. If so, where did you order from and what was your experience? Any experiences pro or con with freeze branding? Thanks!

had my initals f-b’d on flanks on my 2 TBs years ago
4 initals, each done seperately - no sedation - no twitch
both were greys so brand had to stay on longer than with dark horse
no problem

that was many years ago and brand still shows (though not as easily in winter)

[QUOTE=SGray;7397317]
had my initals f-b’d on flanks on my 2 TBs years ago
4 initals, each done seperately - no sedation - no twitch
both were greys so brand had to stay on longer than with dark horse
no problem

that was many years ago and brand still shows (though not as easily in winter)[/QUOTE]

Where’d you order the FB setup from?

there was a guy in the area that did FBing - he had a set of numbers and letters in two sizes - did my 3 in smaller arched over last initial

the only thing that worried the horses was the ‘smoke’

The PRE folk all freezebrand & have custom-made brands. I know there is one out here in So Cal who does LOVELY work-- I’ll get his name for you.

We had a custom freeze brand made for our cattle and recipient mares, as well as a set of numbers. We had ours done through Nasco (www.enasco.com).

We also had a freeze brand made for our ranch. We had a small one made as we did the foals when weaning. The vets did it for awhile but then we decided to do it ourselves and the brands came out much nicer. Don’t remember where we had them made but somewhere here in Canada.

Bumping this up - I have a couple nondescript bays with illegible race tattoos on their lip - about how much is it to customize a FB and have a pro apply it for ID purposes? Assuming there are only a few characters/letters.

When I lived in SC / NC I had my two horses freeze-branded instead of breed brand. I also had them microchipped.

There was a guy in the area that did FB and I picked out what I wanted from his irons.

I also registered my brand with the state. Now that I’m in MS I have had to register the brand here as well.

I think of it as 2 forms of ID: 1) a freeze brand that could be traced through brand registration and 2) microchip registered with PetLink. I have my own multi-frequency scanner so I can read my chips and others.

I like how the FB looks compared to hot brands. FBs are a lot easier to see.