Unlimited access >

French Bulldogs?

Who has frenchies? Post a pic and tell us about them.

I have one, his name is Henri. We got him a little over a year ago, his momma had to go to a care facility and couldn’t take him so that’s how he came to us. He’s 9, and I found out we are his fourth home. I can’t imagine why, he’s a super well behaved little dude and lots of fun.![image|375x500]

12 Likes

My farrier had a Frenchie that rode shotgun with him for years. He had his own Facebook page and everything. He was a cool dog. I think he might have been the only French Bulldog I ever really knew well. Not sure if his personality was typical. Friendly but a little aloof. Sort of like an eccentric little old man.

2 Likes

Omg that’s funny!!
I’ve only known a few but they are like toddlers in dog bodies . They really are little clowns, bouncing around being happy .

2 Likes

There are 4 Frenchies owned by 3 boarders at my barn. All of the dogs were purchased as pups and all are super friendly. I even considered getting one when my last dog passed away, but all of those dogs had $$ veterinary issues. Eye ulcer, skin melanoma, patella surgery, etc. The issues came up while the dogs were pretty young, like under 4 yrs. Then I Googled the breed’s health track record and short age span and thought Nope, too much of a gamble for me. But I’ve never met a Frenchie that wasn’t outgoing and sweet!

9 Likes

Some do tend to have issues for sure. It seems to be the ones from breeders who don’t do rhe appropriate health and genetic testing before breeding… my guy didn’t have the greatest care most of his life, he needed the palate and nares surgery when we got him and he is on allergy meds but that’s pretty much it. He’s surprisingly healthy. They are crazy expensive to buy, as much rescuing as we have done over the years i would never spend that kind of money on a dog to buy.

2 Likes

Most Frenchies are born via C-section which is one of the reasons by they are so $$$

I would get a Boston Terrier before I got a Frenchie. I find both breeds to be fun, little clowns in dog suits.

4 Likes

I absolutely love them, but I won’t own one. I’ve enjoyed every one I’ve met from afar, though. They are great apartment dogs, are friendly, can be smart, and class clowns. A close family member has had several, her current one is the definition of gregarious.

On top of the breeding concerns about them and their brachiocephaly, allergies and breathing issues are common in the breed. I’m involved tangentially in a vet tech FB group and every other post is about a Frenchie and their allergy restrictions driving their owners crazy.

My tenant has one. He’s huge for a frenchie, very friendly, and the perfect apartment dog. But he also is on a high end $$$$$ hydrolized diet because he’s allergic to everything — between his food and vet bills I think he costs more a month than rent! He sure is cute though - and actually as far as Frenchies go is quite big and not too brachiocephalic.

3 Likes

Wow ok. Yeah I’ve seen those forums too, it is scary. My little guy is awesome. He has a mild skin allergy that he gets apoquel for, but other than that he’s very healthy and even eats regular dog food. He was over 50 lbs when he came to us but now he’s 30 with buns of steel from going up and down our stairs. Plus he’s a great little farm dog.
And he goes to the door, barks to go out, patrols the farm and then barks to come in .

Your guy is so cute. I’m glad he doesn’t seem to have the problems that most owners complain about. And thank you for giving him a soft landing. He looks so happy in that last picture!

1 Like

Aww thanks!! I have always loved them but doing as much rescuing as I do no way am I paying for a dog, any dog. I have a friend who breeds them, who knows his last moms son. So she called and said”hey you don’t know anyone who wants a Frenchie do you?” Being a smart butt. And I was like Girl please you have to ask!!
Now I’m totally smitten and we are almost inseparable lol

3 Likes

He was a little worried in the first picture. We had gone off with my LQ trailer, and it was his first time being in it. We were about to head out for dinner and he was very worried and clingy and I think may be he thought he was being left somewhere again or being rehomed again… Once we came back later and he realized he wasn’t being left he was back to his little silly self.

1 Like

For me, ethically, I can’t. SO really wants a brachy breed and I feel strong moral objections to contributing to the market demand to purposely breed dogs that have such severe, long-lasting health problems that impact their day to day ability to be dogs.

I have a friend with thoughtfully bred Frenchies who compete in sports. All the testing. All the carefully chosen pedigrees. Those dogs are not healthy by normal standards. Exactly as OP is explaining away multiple surgeries and a health problem that requires daily medication and impacts the dog’s day to day comfort… other than that he’s healthy. That’s not normal.

Breed folks have described the Boston as “the poor man’s Frenchie.” Seriously?! How about “the healthier Frenchie”? But healthy is only relative to other brachy breeds.

Knowing myself, I could not live at peace with the wheezing, gasping, and snoring. It isn’t cute. It’s an animal who isn’t getting enough air. Seen the videos of Frenchies recovering from surgery, conscious and still tubed? They can finally breathe!

OP, I am not attacking you or your dog. I know you love him. I understand you are providing excellent care. I know you did not pay $3,000 - $5,000 for him. I hope the market will one day demand a healthier phenotype.

14 Likes

I didn’t take it as an attack. Although I will say that Henri doesn’t wheeze or gasp and easily outruns just about every other dog here on the farm, even those bigger than he.
I guess I’m lucky with him, he just has mild environmental allergies, like to pollen etc like many people so he gets a pill twice a day and that’s it. Some frenchies do really seem to be a mess. My friend does a ton of generic and health testing on her dogs that she used for breeding so her dogs don’t have the health problems that so many frenchies seem to have. I don’t know if she bred Henri or not, but I don’t think so.
Except he does snore like a lumberjack , but so do some of my shelter dogs lol.

2 Likes

Unless something had changed recently there aren’t genetic tests for BAD (brachycephalic airway disease) or any of the other common frenchie things (IVDD, atopic to name a couple). My old boss (DVM) did a ton of research and traveled cross country to get one from a great breeder. She still has all the things!

They do however suffer from terminal cuteness. And I know a ton of veterinary professionals who have them right now despite knowing better :rofl:

2 Likes

I am staying at a relatives in Florida for a brief vacation. I mean, how cute is this guy??

He did have IVDD surgery at 3 and yes, is allergic. But omg what a cute dog.

3 Likes

I’ve had a Frenchie and an English bulldog, and as much as I love the bully breeds and their awesome personalities, I won’t do it again. Ethically and emotionally, I just can’t. They have amazing personalities, though!

2 Likes

Omg he is pretty adorable

1 Like

4 Likes

I was selling my airline approved soft shelled cat carriers on kijiji. Today I sold the last one to a woman that is flying from here(Nova Scotia) to Ontario and back, to pick up her baby French Bulldog. She says he weighs around 1lb. right now.

1 Like

Awwwwwwwww
Ask her to send a pic of him
And please post it