Unlimited access >

Friesian life expectancy

I am looking at a friesian/paint cross to purchase for lower level dressage. He is 12 coming 13 with no relevant medical history. After doing my research, I’ve noticed that the friesian horses have a low life expectancy. Is this still true today, or has the breed improved over the years? Would the fact that he is a crossbreed rather than pure friesian potentially help him with longevity? I am a long time horse owner but admittedly quite ignorant to breed specific health topics and concerns. He’s a lovely boy with above average movement and willingness to try anything. He’s priced at 22k, so while not a top dollar horse, he’s not “cheap” either. I know that there are MANY factors that will have an impact on a horse’s lifespan, so I’m just looking for general information.

I can’t help you, but be patient. There are several members here who have longtime experience breeding Friesians and Friesian crossbreds. :slightly_smiling_face:
I am trying to remember their screen names with no success, but perhaps they’ll show up in time.

1 Like

I’m not an expert, but my gelding’s full Friesian sire is still pulling wedding carriages in his mid 20s

1 Like

$22k for a Paint x Friesian who’s already 12, with average movement, is kinda of insane IMHO. What makes him worth $22k to you?

Does he look more Friesian or more Paint? Is he 50/50?

Yes, being a cross does reduce the Friesian issues, but in the end it’s all about the individual.

7 Likes

Hi! Thanks for your feedback. He’s been shown through second level dressage and schooling third. He probably has the best brain of any horse I’ve ridden- will pack a kid around, etc. Horse prices are sky high right now. I’ve been searching for something for months and realized the market is just so different than it was a few years ago. I would say he looks half friesian, half paint and yes, he is 50/50. Friesian face, some feathers, thick mane/tail, thick neck. His markings are that of a paint, though (b&w). He’s about 16.1 and thicker than your typical friesian if that makes sense.

1 Like

Cool, thanks. $ aside, which is totally up to you for his worth, he sounds like a nice horse.

2 Likes

I’ve owned and ridden several crosses throughout the years and I personally haven’t found the crosses to have quite as many issues as the purebreds. That said, anything involving horses can go wrong at anytime and insurance can go a long way when making an investment;). Regardless of the breed, a good horse/match is always a valuable investment. My current youngster couldn’t be pried out of my hands for that $, I’ve been offered it recently. Best of luck! The Friesian crosses are one of my favorites. As with any horse, you have to buy the individual.

2 Likes