Unlimited access >

FS Don't Worry offspring-when do they stop growing?

I have a sweet little 4.25 year old mare by FS Don’t Worry on trial. She is out of a quarter horse dam. Her movement is very fancy and we’d love to have the option of showing her FEI Pony if she comes along nicely in the future. The only issue-she’s 14.2 now with shoes. As quarter horses reach their mature height early, I’m not concerned about the dam’s side causing her to grow more, but I don’t know when FS Don’t Worry babies typically stop growing. I’m planning to call the German owners in the morning. Any insight would be appreciated! I know it is all a bit of fortune telling but I really would love the input all the same.

usually around 6 years old. I have had several from him and am very close to the owners of FS Don’t Worry. He is pretty close to max size himself and when bred to a QH - i would firmly expect over pony size. It is very well known in germany when breeding to him, if you expect to stay under the magic 148/149cm - then you go with a smaller pony mare.

Pretty much any GRP/pony horse cross that is 14.2 at only 4yo is going to go over.

Pretty much any GRP/pony horse cross that is 14.2 at only 4yo is going to go over.[/QUOTE]

Thank you that is really helpful!

Just for the benefit of anyone else who may read this thread, I spoke with the owners of FS Don’t Worry earlier today. They assured me that our mare most likely would not grow beyond her current height. They indicated that the vast majority of FS Don’t Worry offspring stop growing before their 4th birthday.

I guess the several I have bought from them directly have been unusual. You spoke to Juppi directly? Are they aware the dam is a horse/QH - and NOT a pony?

Your other issue is that you have a breeding of of a max size pony (FS Don’t Worry) to a small horse sized mare I am guessing. The most likely scenario is the offspring will end up between mom and dad. FS Don’t Worry is 14.2 and a smidge.

Every single GRP I have bought from Germany (including ones from FS farm and sired by FS Don’t Worry) have grown at least 1cm if not 2 or 3cm between 4 and 6 years old.
FS Don’t Worry is quite well known for producing over-size, especially when bred to 14.1/14.2 hand pony mares.

As an aside- pony eligibility for USEF/FEI pony classes is calculated in cm, not in hands.

It’s great that you have a prospect you are excited for - the FEI pony classes can only be ridden by children however. FS Don’t Worry is quite well regarded for adding a super character, temperament and rideability. You can hardly go wrong with him on that front. But for producing under 149cm when bred to a small horse - I’d have better luck buying lottery tickets - unless the mare was under 14 hands.

My own pony was 14.1 1/2 at 4,5,6—between 7 and 8 his wither came up…he is just a hair under 15HH and not likely to measure even Dressage Pony at this point. His height came not so much from growth as much as training–and it all came in the wither.

If it were me I’d be asking how tall the mother was–as height seems to be either more like the sire or more like the dam (IMO)–especially in crossbreds.

How fun to hear of another FS Don’t Worry bred in the US. I have been breeding GRPs for the past 10 years in the US. I would say it is 50/50 your mare is at her mature height. Most of mine have grown very little after four, but I have had a couple that did not finish till closer to six. Even if she does go over, she will still be a good dressage prospect.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, I spoke with the owner, and later his wife, as he was not all that comfortable with his English. Both were so gracious and kind, and asked that I send a photo of my daughter and the mare. I do understand that the relevant international/FEI measurements are in cm and I talked with them only after converting my pony’s measurements accordingly. I think after sticking her again and doing the math we have about a cm to work with. Yikes!

The dam in this case is a very refined, small (not much more than a pony herself), working quarter horse type, and, as I said earlier, that line reaches maturity early (typically by 3). So I am not worried about the mare getting more height than she already has from the mother. I talked through this with the owners and they agreed. They indicated that, in their opinion, the mare would not grow any more.

Yes, FEI Pony classes are just for 12 to 16 year old children. My daughter is 11, and has been riding dressage seriously for some time, so the FEI Pony classes would be for her, if she and the mare continue to progress all goes well. Thank goodness we have a wonderful trainer or we would not be doing this at all!

Of course this is all reading tea leaves. We are going to go into this accepting the fact that she may go over, and then we will have a small dressage horse for my daughter, who is small herself, and will need a mount this size for awhile regardless. Either way it will be fun.