Unlimited access >

Fugly yearling

Once you get familar with the pillar of support, neck emergence, and LS gap, which are things that don’t change, at all, once a foal unfolds, then you can see that no matter the growth spurt, and you learn to distinguish between actual structural conformation, and postural/stance or growth “conformation”.

What you can’t tell until they’re done are back and neck length. If they’re even in a butt-high phase past around 24 months, you can’t know if they’ll finish even, but the odds go lower and lower the older they are and are still/again butt-high. When they’re butt-high that also straightens the hind end, and it can be harder to tell how that will finish up

2 Likes

Exactly a year old, one of the pictures I bought him off of.

The day he arrived!

Three years old

11 Likes

He’s adorable and doesn’t look like he was made of spare parts as a yearling. And he’s super-handsome now!

1 Like

Hère AT three or 4 months

2 Likes

Now…17 months…ashamed to post her but ok​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve seen some funky looking yearlings at the sales - the pictures are just shiny horses or ones standing on hills or in holes to look more level. They are also fit up to look their best. I wouldn’t judge mine compared to them.

1 Like

She’s not ugly! Her various body parts could be growing at much more different rates (see my girl above)!

I love her bald face and head, and the rest of her could be much worse!

There’s a reason that TB breeding farms keep the yearling in the back pastures!

3 Likes

from this pic I don’t see anything fugly at all, but then again, all the perspective is off, so… :smiley:

That doesn’t look fugly at all! I think their heads and rib cages always end up looking too big for quite some time. Which makes them randomly weird looking. Those gorgeous sale pictures have a lot of camera angle trickery in them!

1 Like

Bad photo with a glowing eyeball (just got back from being gelded at the clinic and was concerned with stuffing his face), but my yearling has more head than neck :thinking: I just feel like his head looks particularly long. But “growing into their head” is a thing!

9 Likes

Yes, m’y filly too, she looks liké that, long head and ugly neck

1 Like

There’s a reason the Neck Fairy exists :laughing: Heads and backs grow ahead of necks. Hind ends grow ahead of front ends.

5 Likes

The “Neck Fairy”… I’m dying laughing.

2 Likes

This is so true! I have a WB mare that I bred. When I broke her at 4 she was still very physically immature. When I was on her I could reach her ears with no problem without leaning over much. Now at 8 I can barely reach her ears from the saddle. I’ve found that their necks are one of the last things to stop growing.

3 Likes

This IS how she arrived after 10 hours trip, skinny and fugly yearling stage, i will post New pictures in a few months to sée if she will improve a bit😆. She s 18 months quarter horse

1 Like

Awww she’s not fugly at all! She has a coming 2yo body and head, with a yearling neck. That will change fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

She’s going to be gorgeous! Love her markings.

1 Like

In all fairness to her, that isn’t the most flattering way to take a picture to judge how she looks?

Stand her up properly and post another.

She looks smaller here then the other picture, yet you say she is 18 months ?

I think she will grow out just fine, eventually . More than anything she lacks fitness and muscle tone. Is she able to get out and move/ run at will in a large pasture?

That can make a huge difference for some.

2 Likes

Yes this was AT night when she arrived from a long trip, she s out now all thé time

1 Like

3 months later, she will bé 2 Years old end of april
5 Likes