Unlimited access >

Fugly yearling

Looks better than mine :rofl:

Just when mine was starting to look more like a horse and was at a fairly even stage, his bum has shot up again. He is developing more of a neck and was a wee bit fat, but his growth spurt will take care of that! I can’t see over his bum anymore. He’ll be 2 in May.

1 Like

What breed IS yours?

He’s a PRE.

I have a coming 3-year-old Morgan gelding (3 on 2/28) who has never been level in the entire time I’ve had him - brought him home at 7.5 months old. Just when it looks like his front end might catch up, his butt goes up again.

My first yearling was never more than 1/2" different while he was growing up (he’s 20 now). I figured they were all like that. My 2nd yearling was at one point 4" butt high, mostly 2", and didn’t level out until his last growth spurt at 7.

Pic is the 2nd yearling (Aries). He’s not standing in a hole. LOL

(I’ve used this picture before, but he is the worst horse to take pictures of, and this is the only good one I have. LOL)

10 Likes

I liké him

Mine IS reining bred, all thé now two Years old are already under saddle but i never put them under saddle AT two.

This is my fugly yearling story. Thoroughbred filly. Top picture, January 2022. (she’s actually a couple months younger than a year–but technically all TBs are “born” on Jan.1st.

Bottom picture, January 2023. Exactly a year later.

19 Likes

Another of my horses as a long yearling

3 Likes

Same horse 2,5 Years old

10 Likes

They change so much in one year, it s incredible

2 Likes

This was Harmony as a long yearling:

And as an adult:

7 Likes

First pic when he was at 10 months, then at 12 months (I bought him back at 10 months and wanted to see the difference over time). Last picture is of him as a long 2 year old this past november. They do get better!

Note: he is a pony (Welsh x BRP) and I do find they grow quicker than horses. So he may have got to this stage a bit quicker than most horses would.

17 Likes

I have the best transformation ever.

No one wanted her after racing and you can figure out why…

Thank god no one did because I got her for $1 and she is my everything!

33 Likes

WOW!!! That is amazing!

1 Like

The wonder of dressage!

1 Like

Wow! Super job! May I ask what saddle(s) you found that work with her wither/back connection?

1 Like

Yeah! She goes in an Amerigo Deep Dressage.
She’s a 2+ for width. Her back is very flat up there behind her massive wither. I use a Mattes half pad under it but she’s gotten rounder and I think that will soon be taken out.

We have all Amerigo dressage saddles and they honestly fit such an array of horses with their different tree shapes to match topline shapes.

She was also fitted virtually so the saddle fitter we use has been phenomenal.

3 Likes

I feel like mine may be eligible for the fugly award as a baby. He is a TB and was bred to race. At 2 he looked like this… the breeder did not want to race him (wonder why) he was only about 14.3-15hh.

He would level out for a while then be butt high - like sky high and I was so afraid he would remain this big-headed, big-eared, goober. Lucky for me I wound up with this hunk by the end. <3 Oh and he finished 17.1!

17 Likes

This is an utterly amazing fairy tale ending! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!

1 Like

All I can say is WOW!! Eye candy now!

2 Likes