Unlimited access >

Full board prices in Westchester area

Not really sure what the lecture is about - of course the price of board doesn’t guarantee anything. Either way, I boarded in NJ with excellent care in great programs for $850 per month per horse. With three horses at the time it was easier to just move to NJ.

Commuting into the city from a different direction saved, quite literally, tens of thousands of dollars a year.

No lecture, I just don’t think the characterization of paying significantly less than $3500 a month only getting you “average” horse care is fair.

I spoke to about 12 business in Westchester in 2020 and none were below $3,500. Granted, most of those included some amount of training and were show barns (mix of Winter Warrior trainers and FL from Nov-March types). I’m sure you could find something closer to $2k if you weren’t looking to horse show, or were comfortable with an a la carte training service (which adds up quickly) and more “basic” care- which in these parts means: no Bemer blanket once a week, no cold laser, maybe a smaller staff etc. Things that are definitely not required for healthy, sound horses, but more of the “gild the lily” type services. The prices started getting a lot more reasonable once I started speaking to trainers in northern Fairfield county.

I mentioned that was ten years ago, I have no first hand knowledge of prices now. I can think of three off the top of my head than are probably still under $2000, one of which shows often but definitely not what I would consider a show barn!

Believe me - I’m not arguing that board isn’t insanely expensive. And yes for those amenities you listed and for a barn that goes to Florida it doesn’t surprise me nothing was under $3500.

1 Like

I didn’t say paying less than $3500 gets you only average horse care.

I said the offerings at Old Salem are significantly ABOVE AVERAGE, which at least somewhat justifies the whopping price tag they charge. At Old Salem you get significantly more than your average h/j barn experience.

I mean, unless you think think two indoors, one of which is big enough to hold horse shows and with a show quality course set, a GP field also with a show quality course set, an outdoor hunter ring with perfect footing and a show-quality course set and an outdoor jumper ring with perfect footing and a show-quality course set, plus additional schooling rings is “average”.

1 Like

“ I mean, they charge for it but you get an absolutely unmatched level of quality that is significantly more than 3x as nice as your standard $1500 a month place with one small indoor and average care/level of expertise.”

I’ve been to OSF many, many times. I don’t disagree that it is a lovely facility. But your bolded statement says that paying $1500 in board gets you “average care.” I disagree.

If OSF is significantly above average, then the other places are average compared to OSF.

I think we can agree that the average offerings at $1500 do not include 3 outdoors, a GP field, and 2 indoors.

How else would you like me to phrase, “OSF charges a metric s*t ton but you get significantly more than -by really any standard- you normally would”???

This is like me trying to say that a 4’8" jockey is taller than a 4’5" jockey, and you making a federal case about the fact that “I just called a 4’8” person tall". I didn’t. For future reference, when someone is comparing two things relative to each other that is not the same thing as making general statements about everything outside of that comparison.

1 Like

You’re missing my point and still entirely focusing on all the amenities of OSF. I get it - indoors, outdoors, GP field, etc. Been there, ridden there, I don’t need the facility explained to me. I am not talking about the physical facility.

I am speaking specifically to the level of care. You can have a facility that is completely average, pay $1500, and have an extraordinarily dedicated staff that provides top-notch care. So again, I disagree that paying $1500 automatically gets you care that is “average” compared to OSF. I don’t really understand why that opinion seems to be so offensive to you?

3 Likes

So, my post was primarily about the amenities at OSF, you recognize that my post was primarily about the amenities at OSF and you replied directly to me with some side lecture about the “level of care”, but apparently I missed your point?

Yeah, I was, in fact, talking primarily about the physical amenties at OSF, which far surpass what you would expect to find (ON AVERAGE) even among top barns.

In addition to their unsurpassed facility, they ALSO provide top of the line care, (or at least they did when I was there). Saying that OSF also provides top of the line care is not saying that anybody else does not.

So, at OSF, you get a ridiculously A+++ facility PLUS A+++ care, which TOTAL PACKAGE is more than you would ON AVERAGE expect. As with comparing the heights the jockeys not meaning that you are calling every other jockey on the planet tall, this is not a statement that other places are necessarily providing poor care.

Jesus.

Nobody else seems to be reading my posts as maligning every other barn in Westchester County so you may want to ask yourself why you are the only one digging in to this conclusion and why it is apparently so important to you to relentlessly pick apart one post that I made about OSF.

1 Like

My only point is that lower priced board does not (always) equal lesser care. It might, as you have repeatedly reminded me of, be because of the incredible facility and amenities. Genuinely didn’t think that would be such a controversial opinion or taken as a “lecture,” but to each their own I guess. :thinking:

3 Likes

Which is a perfectly valid point on it’s own, but it is 100% not a relevant response to what I wrote about OSF.

I never said lesser board prices automatically gets you lesser care.
As you yourself recognized, I was talking primarily about OSF’s facilities as being what justifies their pricing up in the stratosphere.

1 Like

I do not know about these specific barns but generally speaking it is true that a lower price point means you get less of something.
It is a topic that is frequently brought up here. A person boards at a place they can afford but they want feature A, feature B, and feature C too and how can they get Inexpensive Barn to offer these features and they are told to find another barn and expect to pay more.

This does not mean that sometimes you can’t find a place that seems lower than the market price in that area and has amazing care and amenities. It is just not a common thing, it is that boarding unicorn.

1 Like

Wow this argument seems really productive and I’m glad you both are keeping at it /s

17 Likes

I think it is relevant.

I felt the implication that if one is “only” paying $1500 a month they can’t expect anything more than a mudlot, an empty water trough, and some moldy hay.

Clearly location affects price, but $1500 a month shouldn’t be nearly substandard care, they probably don’t have 12 Grand Prix arenas with perfect footing but it’s probably still pretty darn good care.

Everyone understands that OSF is the ultimate in equine luxury and is priced as such.

4 Likes

This was what I felt as well.

1 Like

Annnndd no where did I say that $1500 a month is “substandard care.”
There is absolutely no where that I implied that anything less than OSF is a “mud lot” with “moldy hay.”

Jesus Christ, people.
I tried to say something nice about OSF and their insanely nice facilities.
While their pricing is eyepopping, they certainly deliver a total package well above what is usually available - dare I say above average??

You may be carrying god knows what personal grudges from some long forgotten post, but you’re arguing against implications I did not make in this post.

What would make Rel6 and enjoytheride happy? I made one post about how insanely nice OSF and you’ve come back to detail the offense you took to it multiple times. No explanation on my part seems to satisfy either of you. Perhaps since you’ve been circling back to this with your claws out time and time again you could tell us what you are actually looking for from me here? What would make you leave this thread happy?

Dude. Chill.

I have no personal grudge from any post, I commented once, and I’m not attacking you with my claws out???

I was simply agreeing with Rel6 that I got the same vibe from your post so she wouldn’t be the only one. If that wasn’t your intent, no big.

5 Likes

I mean, if you’re bound and determined to interpret my post in the worst possible way, I guess I can’t stop you.

OSF still delivers significantly more than the average package - even if we’re averaging some pretty excellent places- , and I still took my horses somewhere where they got, and I quote myself directly, “excellent care in great programs for $850 per month per horse”.

1 Like