Unlimited access >

Full care board

I think depending on where you are at, there is a difference in “full care” board, vs “full service” board. In full care, I would pretty much agree with your interpretation. Horses brought in and out, feed and hay provided, or your supplied feed given, supplements added, sheets/ blanketing possibly included or optional, stalls cleaned. Full service to me includes boots on and off, horse groomed, tacked for you, possibly exercised.

No judgement here, owners can be as hands-on or hands-off as they want to be. Their horse, their choice. I’m just saying, there’s a whole bunch of types of horse owners that barn owners have to consider when creating their board type and prices, there is no “one size fits all” in boarding, and that’s why we end up with theses widely varying definitions for standard terms/types.

3 Likes

I distinguish these two types semantically by using full care and full service. The former being full care of the horse as you noted in your first description. Full service being full care + services for grooming, vet, etc as you describe in paragraphs two

I wonder if it’s regional

1 Like

My last BM/BO was very insistent that the barn provided FULL BOARD. Most of the boarders considered it to be quasi-coop. No one was there during the day, horses did not get checked on, and despite what the BO/BM told prospective boarders, there was never any night check.

Grain provided by owner. Hay and Grain fed twice a day, horses watered, turned out, brought in. Stalls cleaned and bedded.

But that was IT. BM/BO went MIA around the time Covid hit and boarders started picking up the slack- buying hoses, brooms, sweeping barn, picking paddocks, etc. BM/BO was approached and was indignant. Told me the things provided in contract were consistent with Full Board and everything else was extra and at her will. Apparently this included basic barn cleanliness and maintenance of riding facilities. Hay quality had always been inconsistent but reached a new low over the winter. Had rats because staff wouldn’t clean grain area.

Left barn.

1 Like

I dunno…”board” may or may not include staff doing night checks or other things not directly related to feed, water and stall cleaning that typically define “ board”. I would not assume things like that are included. If its not specifically spelled out in the contract, never expect it.

The most frequent point of conflict I’ve observed over decades boarding out is blanketing. More involved owners want frequent blanket changes and turn out included at no charge but want to do all grooming themselves (i.e wont pay for barn to groom). But what happens with soaking wet, muddy horses coming in from turnout? Sometimes with equally soaking wet, muddy blankets on a cold day with temp dropping. Barns problem? Or horses sweating with a sudden temp change or acting a fool and overheating. Barns duty to rinse or brush out the dried sweat?

Frequent point of conflict that. Some boarders also need to realize the more they want the barn to do, the more barn staff it will take but they balk at paying enough to support said barn staff. Little understanding of whats actually in that contract and the manpower needed to accomplish the tasks would help manage expectations and avoid drama in most of these cases.

Both sides at fault, often barn does not clearly define all services or have enough help to perform them and boarder assumes they are included and staffing is adequate. Thats often why barn shopping based on lower price is not the best approach. Shopping based on specific, written policies and a good deal if observation will get you a better fit.

If its not in the contract, it doesn’t exist. Don’t be shy about reviewing it BEFORE you sign.

1 Like

Most definitely. I read and question anything I don’t understand or need more information before signing. I was looking over a boarding contract for a barn I was considering and one of the paragraphs read that any injuries or illnesses to the horse are wholly the horse owner’s responsibility and the barn is not liable. The question I had was what if the horse was injured due to negligence by the barn, say a gate was left open by barn staff, the horse got out and was hit by a car? Horse owner was not on the property at the time of the accident. I should think the barn owner would be responsible but the contract said the barn was not responsible for anything that happens to your horse. That and other dubious statements were the reason I chose not to board there.