Unlimited access >

Full Chaps

Hi! I have been thinking about getting some full chaps to ride in over the winter and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on them/steer me in the right direction. I ride outside in PA for most of the winter since I don’t have an indoor, and layering leggings under winter breeches just isn’t cutting it anymore for me. If I do end up getting a pair, I was planning to look for them on consignment as I don’t want to spend a ton on them. I have a calfskin CWD saddle and my biggest concern is that full chaps will scuff or really wear it down or something. Anybody know if that’s something to be worried about, even if they’re worn over breeches? Thanks!

I have journeyman full chaps. I’ve had no trouble with scratching on Butets and Antares. I will say that very few people I’ve encountered in my area (VA) ride in full chaps. I am the only one at our barn which has many clients! I use breeches underneath the chaps to avoid scratching from jeans. If you show a lot I would do nice half chaps instead. I find my full chaps give me a false sense of security and I end up feeling a little loose in my boots and breeches at shows.

3 Likes

I have two pairs(maybe 3? 2 black for sure, maybe a navy blue) that I tried to sell a year or so ago. If you DM me your size, I can see if these would work for you.

I don’t know about the saddle.

1 Like

This was my experience as well, and the main reason I never ordered a new pair of full chaps when I outgrew the last ones. I have enough to worry about when I (rarely) show - really don’t need to add to it by feeling slippery and insecure without the chaps!

They definitely are nice and warm. You shouldn’t have any problem with the saddle - it’s jeans (and maybe silicone) that they don’t like.

2 Likes

I have Butets as well, and full Journeyman chaps.

I used to ride in jeans and the full chaps. I think the seam in the jeans rubbed my old saddle.

I now wear Piper breeches instead with the chaps, much easier on the leather.

1 Like

I’m a fan of full chaps. I can’t speak to them damaging fancy leather but never had a problem with my old saddle (it wasn’t French, though, so there is that). They’re great for warmth and you can certainly switch it up with half chaps if you’re worried about getting spoiled for the grip when show season rolls back around. (as a returning rider, warmth and grip rank high on my list :grin:)

Watch ebay and Poshmark or consignment shops. I bought a pair last winter for around $30 on the former and there’s currently a pair on the latter that I’ve been contemplating (if you wear a medium, call it public service and save me from myself). If you’re some combination of patient and lucky, Journeymen and Pinnell chaps occasionally show up.

Since I started buying riding clothes online, the tape measure has become my new best friend. Pay attention to/ask for the measurements when they’re open flat. They will stretch and break in. The ones I bought on ebay are great over layers; my old pair from “before,” I started to wear over skinny jeans or breeches in the warm weather months. I was shocked to suddenly be able to get them zipped again one day this past summer. It felt like a gift.

1 Like

I’m in Ontario and had a custom pair made last year. I prefer to ride in my breeches and schooling tall boots.
When it’s colder than -10C (14f) I ride in my chaps. One of my horses lives out 24/7, and walking out to get him in the dark when it’s freezing is slightly more enjoyable with the full chaps.

1 Like

I live in Seattle and have a pair of full chaps. I am a FAN. I have a Butet premium and no scratching whatsoever. I also wear either breeches or lululemons under the chaps. They’re actually my moms OLD chaps and they are 20+ years old, still going strong. Great investment. FWIW I do not feel slippery or less secure when I take them off and ride in tall boots and breeches.

1 Like

I ride in full chaps with fringe all year down here in Wellington. I have had several high end French saddles and have never had one have damage due to the chaos or my jeans that I wear underneath.

1 Like

This thread makes me miss my full chaps soooooo much. Maybe I need to make it a goal to finally drop some weight and treat myself to a pair!

2 Likes

My custom full chaps and the tall boots that I show in are my incentive to be the same size year round. I have to stop myself from eating junk at Christmas so that I can fit into my chaps all winter :sweat_smile:
A few weeks before show season I always pull my boots out in a panic, worried that they won’t fit, luckily they always do!

2 Likes

I have ridden in full chaps since a junior and they’ve never hurt my saddle(s). It/they is/ are Crosby PDNs. My current chaps have blown out at the knees and I can’t find anyone who can fix them. But I still wear them every ride!

1 Like