Unlimited access >

Full seat breeches in a calfskin saddle?

I have a calfskin Devoucoux jump saddle and am in the market for a pair of full seat breeches. I’m interested in the Kerrits GripTek II breeches and have seen other riders wear them while riding in a Devoucoux, but Devoucoux’s website it says that suede can damage the saddle. I think the Kerrits pair is polyester (correct me if I’m wrong), but would this still be too abrasive for my saddle? They’re advertised to have extreme grip.

Also taking recommendations for other full seat breeches provided they aren’t silicone!

TIA.

Fits breeches are super comfortable.

2 Likes

I have the griptek breeches and I really like them - they are VERY sticky. I can’t emphasize enough how extraordinarily grippy they are - the first time I rode in them, I was certain that if I fell off, my breeches would still be on the saddle and I’d be half naked on the ground :joy:. The stickiness took a few rides for me to get used to (and probably also wear down the initial stickiness), but now they’re super comfy and I don’t notice how much more grippy they are than any of my other pairs.

If you’re avoiding silicone because you’re worried about it damaging your saddle, then I would get the Crossovers instead. The fabric of the gripteks themselves is probably polyester, but the seat almost feels like some kind of perforated latex/neoprene on a fabric backing (like pleather, but with more stretch) and I bet it would do every bit as much damage as silicone.

2 Likes

I had a calf Butet Premium for several years and I always wear full seats - suede, or silicone. No issues. I just got a pair of Griptek a few months ago, and they are awesome, but my seat is now bull leather… though I wouldn’t have hesitated to wear them with my calf saddle if I still had it.

1 Like