Unlimited access >

Full-time Seasonal Working Student - Europe or US - Any suggestions?

Hi everyone!

I’m new to the full-time, live-in working student world. My experience as a working student has always been part-time, while I went on working the 9-5 office job. Now, I have the itch and some time to get my hands dirty and I’d like to learn from the best, full-time.

1. I’m willing to move anywhere in the world, but I have a horse. I’d like to find a spot for her along with me, but I’m not willing to spend a small fortune to re-home her just for a single season. If I’m moving away from the Los Angeles area (home base), I need a live-in situation, or enough monthly pay to rent a place nearby.

2. My horse is a jumper, so I’d like to work in a show jumping or eventing barn. Hunters might work, too.

3. I have experience with problem and green horses, but because of time/finances, I don’t have a lot of competitions under my belt. I’d love the chance to show, but it’s not a huge part of why I’m looking. I used to run the barn while the trainer was away at shows, and that is okay, too!

4. I’ve jumped up to 1.10m, and it’s my horse’s limitations that keep us from jumping higher. We’re training for higher classes, but I’ve had her less than a year so we’re taking it slow.

5. Physically, I cannot lift heavy water buckets or muck out a bunch of stalls. Groom and tack? No problem. Ride fives horses a day? Cool. But once I have to start lifting heavy things or bending over a pitchfork for hours on end, my herniated disc acts up and I’m useless the next day.

(EDIT) A lot of responses from the community regard the point above. So, just to clarify, I can lift water buckets as long as they are under 20lbs, (but I tend to be slower then everybody else because I have to lift carefully–maybe I could practice and improve my lifting technique?). Luckily, we have automatic waterers at our barn, so this has never been an issue. And I can muck around 5-10 stalls a day, but I can’t do an entire barn by myself. What I meant to say with this point is that lifting and bending cannot be a majority of the work. Jumps are no problem; I set jumps every other day.

1. I have experience teaching lessons. I’ve taught up to intermediate (2’6"-2’9") hunter/jumper lessons.

2. My career is in marketing/branding/business development. I can create websites from scratch, I have a professional camera/software, and I’m well-versed with SEO (search engine optimization), social media sales, and the tools of the trade. I’m great at networking and locating buyers and would be happy to help out in this area, given the correct circumstances.

So, COTH family, does anyone have experience in the working student world? Any wisdom to share? I know a lot of times, working students are taken advantage of, but I’m pretty assertive. I’d require a contract, signed by both parties, clearly stating expectations (for my protection). Does that sound reasonable?

It may be difficult to find a position where you will not be expected to muck out stalls or be able to preform basic barn chores. If you can’t lift water buckets, I doubt you can move jumps or lift poles, which makes you a bit useless in the arena.
Working student positions are not glamorous, and usually require a lot more barn chores than actual riding. This may be different if you find a trainer absolutely swamped with too many horses for the number of hours in a day, but that is going to be pretty rare.
You might be better off seeing if you can help out with a local trainer. Keep your job, but help them on your days off. Some may even pay. You will be expected to do a lot less mucking, and hopefully more riding and grooming/show help.

Being a working student it’s not really going to work if you can’t clean boxes or do water buckets since there are very few positions that require no barn work.

You cannot be a show jumping groom if you can’t set jumps which you certainly can’t do if you can’t lift a water bucket. Also again unless you are with a rider/barn with a lot of horses and someone else specifically doing the boxes/water, it would be difficult to find a position with your physical limitations.

It seems like the only job you feel you can physically manage is a rider, so try to get some great videos together and start applying to those jobs.

Since you want to bring your horse, Europe is probably out for you. But honestly I know nations cup riders who are employed as riders who also do boxes so it probably wouldn’t be a great match for you even if you didn’t want to bring the horse.

You’re wanting something everyone does: Bring horse, get paid a livable wage, no work outside riding. That is not a working student position. Unless you are charlotte dujardin, beezie madden or someone with good stuff under them, you aren’t walking into a barn with “the best” under the conditions you want unless you have deep pockets to pay for it as a paid student. And liability is going to be high with your back.

[QUOTE=Vieve;8778855]
Hi everyone!

I’m new to the full-time, live-in working student world. My experience as a working student has always been part-time, while I went on working the 9-5 office job. Now, I have the itch and some time to get my hands dirty and I’d like to learn from the best, full-time.

1. I’m willing to move anywhere in the world, but I have a horse. I’d like to find a spot for her along with me, but I’m not willing to spend a small fortune to re-home her just for a season. If I’m moving away from the Los Angeles area (home base), I need a live-in situation, or enough monthly pay to rent a place nearby.

2. My horse is a jumper, so I’d like to work in a show jumping or eventing barn. Hunters might work, too.

3. I have experience with problem and green horses, but because of time/finances, I don’t have a lot of competitions under my belt. I’d love the chance to show, but it’s not a huge part of why I’m looking. I used to run the barn while the trainer was away at shows, and that is okay, too!

4. I’ve jumped up to 1.10m, and it’s my horse’s limitations that keep us from jumping higher. We’re training for higher classes, but I’ve had her less than a year so we’re taking it slow.

5. Physically, I cannot lift water buckets or muck out stalls. Groom and tack? No problem. Ride fives horses a day? Cool. But once I have to start lifting heavy things or bending over a pitchfork, my herniated disc acts up and I’m useless.

6. I have experience teaching lessons. I’ve taught up to intermediate (2’6"-2’9") hunter/jumper lessons.

(EDIT) 7. My career is in marketing/branding/business development. I can create websites from scratch, I have a professional camera, and I’m well-versed with SEO (search engine optimization) and social media sales. I’m great at networking and locating buyers and would be happy to help out in this area, given the correct circumstances.

So, COTH family, does anyone have experience in the working student world? Any wisdom to share? I know a lot of times, working students are taken advantage of, but I’m pretty assertive. I’d require a contract, signed by both parties, clearly stating expectations (for my protection). Does that sound reasonable?[/QUOTE]

Bolded part is going to make it tough. Not even a water bucket, hay bales would be out, as well. This would not equal a WS position, it would be a rider position, very hard to walk in to get on of these. I think what you would be looking for is really more of an assistant trainer position, but at some barns they do grunt work, as well, unless you are at an uber high-client show barn with groom staff to do ALL the work. Minimally being able to carry a water bucket, give a leg up to a student.

So- yes the contract sounds reasonable, no the situation you are looking for is a unicorn. Unless you are Tori Colvin good with a decent show record, I think you will be hard pressed to find that situation, and it is unreasonable. You can look, I don’t want to be the Squasher Of Equine Dreams.

As a Squasher of Equine Dreams, unintentionally, I’d suggest keeping your good 9-5 job, showing, putting feelers out at shows with trainers who may be looking for some help. Be up front with “I can’t do stalls or lift water buckets” (be ready, though, that won’t be well received).

I would hesitate to suggest anyone look for work in the equine field if they already have a herniated disk or other back problems. If you are around a barn in a position of responsibility for gettin’ it done, absolutely there are going to be moments that task your strength/fitness level. The day the other two stable girls book off sick, and you have to clean all 25 or 60 stalls on your own. The day you need to help stack 60 pound bales of hay, or 50 pound sacks of oats. The day the 1200 lb 4 year old bolts on the longe line, and drags you to your knees. The big bucking fit that comes out of no where. Etc. Plus, working 24/7 with no time off, no visits to chiro or physical therapy (because there is no time, and no cash or medical insurance), eleven hour days, even if you could stay within your “weight limit,” the wear and tear on your back is going to add up.

As I understand it, the full-time WS student position is an apprenticeship to becoming a horse professional, and as such you’d be expected to do everything the trainer/ coach did on her own way up, and still does if needed.

It sounds like you want to be around a barn/ trainer more, maybe you can find a place where you can barter marketing for lessons, do a little work, make friends with a trainer, pay part of your way, and hang out a bit, have a community.

Little unrealistic here. The value of the experience level, sparse competition record and labor you propose giving to the barn does not equal the value of a generous enough wage in return to support you and your horse or free horse board and living accommodations. You can’t give the barn enough with your relative inexperience and physical restrictions. They certainly don’t want the risk of paying out on a disability claim for a pre exsisting condition.

Sorry to be blunt but without readjusting your thinking about what you can offer and what you expect in return as compensation, little chance an active Show and training barn will be interested.

You might try looking for barn office management assistant position or something but that’s typically not going to pay the rent plus horse board. Even people in those positions find themselves setting jumps with heavy poles and cumbersome standards…and mucking when the help no shows or gets hurt.

Most barns I’ve boarded at, the help didn’t get paid enough afford to board a horse there plus their own their living expenses and an ever increasing number of barns no longer do work off board deals-horse costs are getting too expensive and the hay guy wants cash.

Even with the added statement, I don’t know that a working student position is for you. It is very physically demanding, you don’t want to ruin your body.

In my experience even plushy working student positions require you to muck, move hay and move water buckets on a regular basis.

yeah, even with your new statement I seriously doubt you will be able to handle the work. It would be terrible to hurt your back more, and not be able to ride! WS are going to need to be able to throw hay bales, carry two 50 lb bags of feed at a time, etc.
what is the end goal here? Do you want to switch professions and start working in the equestrian world full time? Eventually become a trainer? Just pick up some knowledge? There are plenty of ways to become an equestrian professional without being a working student. If you tell us your end goal, we might be able to give you some suggestions on how to get there.

I would edit Europe out of your title. You have a horse and limited finances (per #3)…

I agree with everyone else (per #5). I have a disc issue too and was a WS several times. I just didn’t work out. I suggest to keep working in your field and afford to go to a great barn with awesome lesson program. Then, you can show too. After you get a bunch of experience then you can teach lessons (I really don’t consider 2’9" intermediate level) and maybe get more rides from clients.

A good size wing standard can weigh over 100lbs and be extremely awkward to grasp in a portable manner.

A fork full of manure weighs 10lbs.

I wonder what sort of back handicap prevents the ability to move forkfuls of manure from the floor to a wheelbarrow but remains capable of moving much heavier jumps onto trailers, off trailers, across the arena, to the atorage shed, back out of the storage shed, and is also capable of withstanding all of the physics that happens when one aims a 1200 lb animal over said jumps, hangs on, and then lands, again and again, on the back side.
All of that then crippled by lifting 10lbs on a plastic fork.

Interesting handicap.

At least that would be #1 on my mind in making hiring decisions.

PS If you hold the fork further up on the handle you don’t have to “bend over” at all. Pro tip.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;8781207]
A good size wing standard can weigh over 100lbs and be extremely awkward to grasp in a portable manner.

A fork full of manure weighs 10lbs.

I wonder what sort of back handicap prevents the ability to move forkfuls of manure from the floor to a wheelbarrow but remains capable of moving much heavier jumps onto trailers, off trailers, across the arena, to the atorage shed, back out of the storage shed, and is also capable of withstanding all of the physics that happens when one aims a 1200 lb animal over said jumps, hangs on, and then lands, again and again, on the back side.
All of that then crippled by lifting 10lbs on a plastic fork.

Interesting handicap.

At least that would be #1 on my mind in making hiring decisions.

PS If you hold the fork further up on the handle you don’t have to “bend over” at all. Pro tip.[/QUOTE]

Meup, with 3 herniated discs myself, I found the twisting-to-the-wheelbarrow more aggravating than lifting heavier things straight up and down.

I also haven’t ridden more than an occasional hack since my back went out. There’s no way it would hold up if I was riding and jumping daily unless I had constant chiro.

OP, I was able to work as a pro groom for a while with my bad back–but for former employers who knew me and my experience level very well and who were willing to make concessions to have me work for them again. I can’t imagine anyone hiring me with those limitations who didn’t know me really well.

Sorry.

Yeah, sorry to rain on your parade but there is no way you’d work out long term as a working student. I was a working student for 5-6 years, and the majority of my work was stall cleaning/ barn cleaning, water buckets, throwing hay, loading/ unloading the trailer, etc. I got to ride lots too, but I definitely had my share of hard labor. And, even if there are other working students or staff where you go, they’re going to hate you because all your lifting is going to be dumped on them.

You’re going to be better off staying at your day job and getting lessons with a good trainer. All the riding you can afford and no heavy lifting.

I’ve also thought that it would be fun sometime to make my vacation be an intensive with a trainer elsewhere, something like adult sleepaway camp. In some nice or remote location with an interesting trainer, maybe camp on the property if possible, ride several times a day. I’ve gone to four day clinics as an auditor; something like that, maybe week or two. I’ve never looked into it. Obviously you’d need to pay your way, but it could fill the desire to go somewhere else. If it was Europe, probably you would not want to take your own horse, though. But it would be a way to get the experience, the riding, and no heavy lifting!

I actually think you should look for an assistant trainer/instructor job that offers training each day. Many trainers offer jobs that also throw in lessons and also mentor while you ride horses in for training. I think this would be a better way to direct yourself as many working student positions focus on a lot of barn work.

[QUOTE=Fig;8781595]
I actually think you should look for an assistant trainer/instructor job that offers training each day. Many trainers offer jobs that also throw in lessons and also mentor while you ride horses in for training. I think this would be a better way to direct yourself as many working student positions focus on a lot of barn work.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s a great idea as the OP has previous teaching experience (I missed that first time around).

Take a position teaching beginners or kids on a Saturday at a good barn where you want to have a relationship with the other trainers or coaches. Take lessons from the head coach. See where it goes. Don’t quit your day job!

[QUOTE=Fig;8781595]
I actually think you should look for an assistant trainer/instructor job that offers training each day. Many trainers offer jobs that also throw in lessons and also mentor while you ride horses in for training. I think this would be a better way to direct yourself as many working student positions focus on a lot of barn work.[/QUOTE]

THIS!! Much more viable for you with the physical restrictions

Chiming in to say that perhaps this was the unicorn position, but I was a working student back in the 90’s and my position did not include cleaning stalls. They had staff for that, we fed/watered/turnout and groomed/tacked up, but no stalls. So that job might exist…

[QUOTE=islgrl;8781729]
Chiming in to say that perhaps this was the unicorn position, but I was a working student back in the 90’s and my position did not include cleaning stalls. They had staff for that, we fed/watered/turnout and groomed/tacked up, but no stalls. So that job might exist…[/QUOTE]

Even without mucking stalls there is usually heavy lifting from time to time, activities like loading/unloading trailers with show equipment, hay bales, lifting loaded tack trunks, setting courses including moving large standards, and the like. If the limit is 20 pounds, I don’t even know if the OP could handle an unruly horse on a handwalk or something since they could easily throw way more then 20 pounds of pressure around? Anything is possible, but the options are definitly going to be more limited.

[QUOTE=islgrl;8781729]
Chiming in to say that perhaps this was the unicorn position, but I was a working student back in the 90’s and my position did not include cleaning stalls. They had staff for that, we fed/watered/turnout and groomed/tacked up, but no stalls. So that job might exist…[/QUOTE]

These sometimes exist. But did you have to lift hay bales? Grain bags?