Funky things going on with hands

I started a new job a couple of month ago.

Now I noticed (rather severely) that my hands don’t obey much in the morning, are sore and kind of hinky in function, sort of like those fancy ‘european’ cupboard hinges, either open or closed, nothing in between. I don’t see much difference if any between taking an NSAID at night or not, usually within 15-30 min it has worked itself out.

I am mopping floors and scrubbing toilets, but the equipment resembles a reusable swiffer…

Doctor’s visit in order?
What do I ask to check for?
It’s been going on for about 2 months, no improvement to notice…

I would go to the doctor if you can, your description may be enough for a diagnoses as it sounds like a repetitive motion type injury. A prescription for Diclofenac may be worth trying.

Alternatively a physiotherapist may be of assistance.

Have you tried putting a support wrap on your wrist while you work to see if that helps? Or taking an NSAID in the morning before work?

The topical Voltaren (diclofenac) gel (you’d rub it on the affected areas) might be a better way to go as it gets right to the area and is easier on the body than you taking a pill which is systemic. I’d get a script for both pill & topical gel.

Your hands might need some time to adjust to this job it seems.

Feel better!!

Thanks! I will check if I can find the stuff.
I don’t think a brace would work, as I am constantly getting wet (wearing gloves, but still, they don’t cover everything.)

The crazy thing is, I hurt in the morning, and then at work I am fine!
Maybe it’s the old wisdom that tendons need a few month to condition to work…

I had something like that once after dh and I had spent the weekend jackhammering to remove a rubber-based tile glue from the kitchen floor (during renovating). Dr wanted me to go have nerve conduction tests but first I went to the physio and she had me do stretches lying on my back, arms out at right angles, hands open and flat (so your arms are touching the floor as well). Within a couple of weeks of doing this daily, and before the date for the nerve tests, the symptoms had improved. I continued the stretch daily and within a couple of months it was completely resolved.

“The crazy thing is, I hurt in the morning, and then at work I am fine!”

Of course. They stiffen up overnight, then you warm out of it as the day goes on.

“Maybe it’s the old wisdom that tendons need a few month to condition to work…”

Probable, still I might be concerned about your long term soundness if you continue to use your hands hard. Back in my 20s, when I was a racehorse groom, my hands acted like yours. Now, it’s a few decades later and I kept doing work my hands didn’t like. Now I’ve got some arthritis and bone spurs in some finger joints. They were telling me back then that they would not stand up to hard use. I wish I would have listened better!

Or, maybe your hands just need to get accustomed to their new workload.

Say, do you have hypermobile fingers (aka double jointed) at all? Do they reverse bend back at the knuckles when stretch your fingers out with tension? A fair number of women do. I have them to a small degree. They don’t hold up as well as regular fingers usually. They suffer more wear and tear due to the increased range of motion and joint laxity. I was looking for a good photo to link for you but all the ones I found have pretty extreme examples which you probably don’t relate to. There are all degrees of hypermobility/double jointedness.

I’d ice at night to get rid of some of the inflammation. Motrin is an anti-inflammatory so that may help. I’d Voltaren gel (prescription) a few times a day, also.

I’ve worked in medicine for a long time (including years in orthopedics), just FYI, in addition to having to try to patch my many bad body parts, including hands.

Feel better & best wishes!! Please update and let me know how it is going.

Oh, and I’d add in a liquid glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement to help things now and as a preventative. Costco has a good one. The liquid one is absorbed more easily than the pills they say.