Unlimited access >

Futuristic 3D Printed Horse Trailer

Came across this new trailer idea about a futuristic 3D printed horse trailer. Crazy but cool. Would like to see one in person. I’m in no way affiliated with the company.

No roof vents. Windows can’t be open when travelling. They’ve got a ways to go! I also wonder about the wheel covers - aerodynamics or just because it looks cool?

If the pull out ramps are easy to use and continue to function easily over the life of the trailer, that is a very cool design though.

I’ve been watching this trailer too and I think it is fascinating. @sascha it is supposed to have venting that is incorporated in the body of the trailer somehow. I would assume the wheel covers have aerodynamic properties but the literature says they are also a safety feature in case of a flat tire - keeps the tire from beating up the rest of the trailer and the wheel cover is easily replaceable.

1 Like

As a consultant/founder to multiple high end 3D print companies (medicine and aerospace), as well as a member of the standards committee for additive manufacturing (3D printing is one type), no. This is pure marketing and actually had little innovation or improvement to horse trailers or their safety.

5 Likes

Thanks, @RAyers
Those ramps look like Just One More Thing to have to maintain or they break down.
Who here thinks the funky plexiglass(?) window covers - a la gullwing - would be useless while hauling?
Looks to me like they’d blow off.
So without roof vents, no air for horses?
Same for the cover on the saddle rack, seems to be placed so a horse could kick at it.
And last: slantload. I am not a fan :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I don’t think I’d be comfortable with a plastic horse trailer.

I think they can 3D print metal too. I’m not sure if this horse trailer has that though.

I was a passenger in a trailering accident several years ago. The horse had only minor injuries, and the trailer required repair work. That experience makes me wary of ‘ultra light’ trailers because I worry they would not hold up well in an accident.

2 Likes

80k for a two horse prototype trailer? Nope.

1 Like