Unlimited access >

Gabapentin side effects in dogs. looking for input

Tramadol is ineffective in dogs for analgesia.

Tramadol has no effect on renal function.

No, that is not how that works. :scream:

I put a standard poodle on it when he was 11 for arthritis pain. This poodle was a jumper. Jumped at least 6 feet in the air when excited.
One of the best decision I ever made as he was so sore I was close to putting him down. He had a least two more years of quality life.
He was sleep at first, maybe 6 weeks, and then it was just like he was two again for movement.
It does sound like your vet is providing options. Your job is to decide if the options need treatment. Ask vet why treating the proteinuria is required? Will it affect your dogs quality of life?
PS . I gave gaba pills in pill pockets not liquid.

1 Like

TLDR. I’ve used gabapentin on a couple of dogs. My understanding of gabapentin is that (1) it was originally intended to be an anti-seizure medication, not a pain medication, and (2) that it is given as a pain management tool because it tends to enhance the efficacy of other pain relievers. So it’s best when given as part of a cocktail and not on its own.

Because of the seizure component, it is best to taper off slowly. If you stop cold turkey, you increase the risk of causing seizures.

Another option to consider is meloxicam in liquid form. The beauty of the liquid is that you can keep lowering the dose until you find the smallest dose that is effective. We maintained a 70 lb greyhound on the treatment dose for a 20 lb dog, because it was sufficient to address her issue (TMJ disorder). Although it sounds like your pooch doesn’t appreciate the liquid dosing. :frowning:

1 Like