I’m looking for input.
About six weeks ago I took my 11-year-old Welshie to a new small-animal vet practice. Brand new. I’d liked the former practice, but all the veterinarians I knew were gone, it dropped the emergency hours, and it wasn’t all that convenient. Saw a new practice opening a few blocks from my house, so signed up.
Dog needed her annual exam and a couple vax. Blood work showed higher BUN and creatinine levels. Vet recommended a kidney disease diet. Fine. Ordered and started on that.
Couple weeks later, dog slips and injures her stifle. She’s hesitant to walk. Take her in. Vet diagnoses ACL/CCL injury based on manual exam. Makes total sense to me. Prescribes gabapentin. Based on dog’s weight, can give her 1-2 cc every 8-12 hours. I restrict her movement, keep her off any slippery surface, and carry her a lot. Vet also recommended upgrading her from Cosequin Max to Dasuquin with egg shell membrane. Fine. Ordered that and am waiting for it to arrive.
After she’s been on new diet for about a month, we draw blood and urine samples to see if there’s improvement. The BUN and creatinine levels are about the same, but seems one indicator (sorry, I didn’t get the report) shows a lot more protein in the urine. Vet wants to put her on telmisartan to treat the proteinuria.
Meanwhile, getting the liquid gabapentin down twice a day is challenging. I think her tremors are worse and she’s more anxious when she’s not passed out. I fluctuate between wanting to taper her off of it, and wanting to leave her on it a couple more weeks to give her stifle more time to mend.
And then today I saw this: Keep in mind that gabapentin can cause a false positive result for urinary protein and increased anxiety. yikes.
I’m thinking I should sit tight for a couple weeks after I’ve weaned her off the gabapentin, then collect a urine sample myself and take it in. See what her protein urine levels are then. I feel like we have too much fluctuation to really know anything.
And also, in terms of tapering off: vet says OK to go from 2x/day to 1x/day for a couple days, then half the morning dose for a couple days, then stop. Some of what I’m reading says don’t stop too fast, and to make one change per week.
Any advice? TIA