Unlimited access >

Gabi Grillo has died

She was so important in developing the freestyle as a competitive class.

Nice summary of her work and her horses here:

10 Likes

I remember being at a restaurant at a WEG and seeing her there.She was sitting alone but not looking lonely.She had such a sweet face.Gone too soon.

5 Likes

I took a clinic with her years ago. She was incredibly precise in her teaching and observations.

2 Likes

I saw her at the World Championships in Switzerland in 1982. She was there but I do not remember her ride. I only remember Chris Bartle riding Wiley Trout in an exhibition ride of a musical freestyle. He rode to a walk in the Black Forest. It was stunning. The following is a video of part two of the Horse in Sport a video series from the mid 80s. Gabi is featured for her musical rides. But it is worth looking up the first one too.

5 Likes

I love that video. We had the set and watched over and over.

1 Like

One of the things I remember about that video was Martzog’s rider saying he was too precious to hack out. he only was ridden in the arena. How sad! While Wiley Trout was ridden out in the fields and jumped. IIRC he even rode him at Badminton!

Yes, I remember that too. I kept horses differently than that, but it’s not so uncommon in Europe. And perhaps Marzog was a wild thing. The Brits have more of a tradition of getting their horses out and about.

1 Like

I think Grillo made the comment that you need to make your horses happy to work with you. They didn’t ask to come to your farm. Something like that. I think that’s a good attitude to have.

3 Likes

Thank you for providing that video! I have the DVDs of The Horse In Sport but no player.GREAT <3

1 Like