Unlimited access >

Galileo is gone

6 Likes

What a legacy he leaves.

2 Likes

I just saw this on my news feed and my jaw dropped. What a loss.

3 Likes

I agree… such a loss. He has been such an influential sire.

He will be sorely missed but he leaves an amazing legacy in his offspring including Frankel and Highland Reel among others.

Galileo, run free…

1 Like

Galileo certainly ensured the continuation of the Northern Dancer dynasty through Sadler’s Wells. I think it not an exaggeration to say he started a dynasty of his own, with Frankel and New Approach taking up the mantle. Not to mention that there are probably several as-yet-unnamed stars waiting in the wings, and of course next year’s foals.

I’m sure his caretakers miss him most of all.

3 Likes

Tremendous blow to the gene pool and the industry. He was truly one of the all time greats. Godspeed

2 Likes

Such a devastating loss. This one hits where it hurts, for so many reasons. Godspeed, Galileo.

1 Like

And Bolshoi Ballet won the Belmont Derby (G1T, $1,000,000 purse) today for his sire.

4 Likes

A fitting add to Galileo’s legacy!

1 Like
3 Likes

What a gorgeous stallion with such a kind eye and obvious presence! I was privileged to see Northern Dancer as well as Nijinsky II, Sea Bird, The Minstrel, Nureyev (LOVED him), Storm Cat and some others. Galileo certainly has the ND “look” and greatness. I owned the last foal by Greek Answer (a grandson of ND) who was the only and last foal of that year when he passed away. He was a Champion Canadian Sprinter and the foal certainly had the attitude! Godspeed, Galileo!