Unlimited access >

Gastro gold III for ulcers?

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has used Gastro Gold III for ulcer treatment. It appears to be the same dose of omeprazole as ulcer guard/gastroguard per tube, but also has some sodium carbonate and L-glutamine added in. It’s a bit cheaper than the ulcer guard but I’m wondering if there’s a catch. I’ve heard of other people using AbPrazole from Abler which is quite a bit cheaper as well but unfortunately they’re backordered. I know with human stuff generics are tightly regulated and generally equivalent quality, but I wasn’t sure regarding for horses and if there was potentially a stability/bioavailability issue that the cheaper versions could have.

1 Like

If you are looking for a cheaper ulcer treatment, I’d be inclined to just go with Nexium (see very long thread on that in this forum).

1 Like

Thanks for the referral to that forum. I’m a human doctor and most PPIs for people (omeprazole, esomeprazole) are dirt cheap so I was shocked at the ulcerguard price tag but figured maybe they need some special carrier or delivery method…?

Uclerguard has a special/proprietary formula that buffers the omeprazole so it makes it through the highly acidic stomach environment to where it needs to go to actually function as a PPI. Hence the price tag. When using Nexium, you are basically counting on the horse not “crunching” the tiny pills so that the pill coating protects the eomeprazole so it makes it to where it needs to go.

If you dose up human OTC omeprazole for a horse, you’ll find the cost is in same the ballpark as UG/GG, so it’s less about having “horse” on the label, and more about the size of the dose.

All PPIs are buffered or coated. It’s not complex or difficult to buffer. It’s truly the size of the dose–2.28 grams/day, 114 times a human dose–that drives the cost. That, and the fact it’s got a horse on it’s label.

2 Likes