Unlimited access >

Geaux Rocket Ride Injured

They did call it an "unexpected response’’ to the surgery. Since he’s eating and not in any apparent pain, that would seem to rule out colic. With a compound fracture, infection would be, well, not anticipated, but definitely on the list of things to watch out for.

The only mention I’ve seen of the fracture being open is in the initial report in the BH. Every other article references a condylar fracture with suspensory damage. That doesn’t mean the initial report was wrong, just that it hasn’t been brought up again.

I wonder if he’s having neurological problems…fervently hoping that isn’t the case.

1 Like

Is laminitis post op a concern in cases like this ?

1 Like

Laminitis is a big concern, but it seems a bit early to me to have that popping up. Usually happens a little farther down the road.

Prayers for Rocket.

2 Likes

Laminitis is a huge concern but obviously that causes pain as well

3 Likes

I read a bit about this, as i have a horse going under general anesthesia tomorrow for CT scan. General risks due to anesthesia include cardiac arrest, tissue damage, myopathy/neurology effects, colic and injuries. The longer the horse is under, the more the risk. We can probably rule out cardiac arrest and colic, but who knows…

4 Likes

Yeah, I figure since they said “unexpected response,” the big expected risks like infection or laminitis or such aren’t the issue. My guess is worth what you paid for it, but I would guess an anesthesia reaction.

I had an anesthesia reaction myself when I had a tonsillectomy. Reaction to the drug itself that was used for anesthesia. This led to three days of hospitalization for what was expected to be an outpatient surgery, and I felt horrible, systemically and far beyond just the sore throat. I know, horses aren’t people, but odd reactions to drugs/procedures can happen. Remembering that, I wonder.

5 Likes

UPDATE: https://twitter.com/PinOakStud/status/1719472606762488230

His condition is similar to yesterday, but Rocket was very excited to see some of his people today and even more excited to get a lot of carrots. He has the heart of a warrior and continues to fight 💙

Trainer was quoted somewhere (Paulick?) saying GRR was “not right” coming out of surgery. I’m wondering if he has some neuro issues - that can be an anesthesia side effect.

6 Likes

He’s gone.

DRF has retracted the story. Reported that they are still working to save him.

I was hoping for better news, but sounds like the best decision for him. Condolences to his connections.

So sad, run free buddy.

So here’s the thing. All the reports of him being euthanized have been scrubbed from everywhere including that link above so either it’s not true or they want to give Pin Oak time to announce it themselves.

I was just coming here to say this.
Any mention of him being PTS has disappeared

Just saw this

You may want to retract/delete this post, since it’s false news.

1 Like

I hope it stays false news.

1 Like

So hoping he can make it. So sad.

1 Like

From Pin Oak a couple hours ago on Twitter (X)
Thank you for the swell of concern for Rocket. We are currently awaiting additional evaluation as for the best course of action and no decision has been made yet. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

2 Likes

I just saw a post that he has been euthanized. Apparently he had a reaction from the anesthesia and could not stand. So sad for all his connections that obviously loved him. RIP sweet boy. :sleepy:

1 Like

Where/when did you see the post?
There was a FALSE report of his death earlier today.
See above comments.

ETA update.
RIP GRR :frowning_face:

What could cause that reaction? What a heartbreaker. Godspeed Rocket.

1 Like

Kind of figured Pin Oak wanted to be one to announce his passing. They fought the good fight, it just wasn’t meant to be I guess.

3 Likes