Unlimited access >

Genetic Test for 'Speed Gene' in Thoroughbred Horses

Groundbreaking research led by Dr Emmeline Hill, a leading horse genomics researcher at University College Dublin’s (UCD) School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine has resulted in the identification of the ‘speed gene’ in thoroughbred horses.
Read the full story here

Note …

COTH Racing topic: Test developed for the “speed” gene"

COTH Racing topic: Genetic Test for ‘Speed Gene’ in Thoroughbred Horses

:smiley:

:lol:

People really, really want us to know that the speed gene has been identified.

Okay, now get cracking on identifying the durability gene (actually, one of my guys is participating in a study trying to determine just that – a genetic predisposition for soundness in TBs) and the all important heart gene (“heart” as in “want to”), and we’ll be good to go! :wink:

1 Like

At 1000 euros per test, I don’t think so. Really great for science and Dr. Hill is a wonderful person and great to talk to, but that costs more than getting them registered.

Terri

Probably stallion owners will be more likely to have the test info available, since they can spread the cost out over more breedings. If you have a CC stallion, for example, he has a very poor chance of producing a long distance runner; a TT stallion probably won’t produce milers and under. That could be useful information for mare owners.

[QUOTE=Barnfairy;4678764]
:lol:

People really, really want us to know that the speed gene has been identified.

Okay, now get cracking on identifying the durability gene (actually, one of my guys is participating in a study trying to determine just that – a genetic predisposition for soundness in TBs) and the all important heart gene (“heart” as in “want to”), and we’ll be good to go! ;)[/QUOTE]

As a college student writing a 15-page paper on the MSTN sequence in Thoroughbreds, I thought I would let you know that I totally just quoted you in my paper. :winkgrin::lol:

We know about Dr. Hill, the speed gene & it’s variations, but I just saw this… link below.
Did a quick search & didn’t find much in the way of a published paper or article about it, except one reference to the Shetland pony.
Otherwise everything I found was about the speed gene & not her study of mitochondrial DNA.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/AUFmKRdNDe9kJZWc/?

This post has been shared a ton! I also could not find any reference to any research that says anything this new research. And alsa Smart Little Lena did not have a cute Welsh dished face or anything Welsh like besides small stature and rabicano. (Which is also present in Arabians) . That whole thought alone makes me question the entire post

2 Likes

Yes, exactly! Like who/where did the write up come from & where did they get the info :woman_shrugging:
I was just trying to find out if it was a bunch of hogwash or based on actual facts LOL.

1 Like