Unlimited access >

Gerd Heuschmann

[QUOTE=Sparrowette;8554234]
This showed up in my FB feed and I thought I’d share.

http://epona.tv/dressage-astray-part-one[/QUOTE]

I appreciate you posting this. I could never understand why PK was so heralded . His riding appeared to be so different than his words. Dr. Heuschman is right about the poor movements being judged high score, especially when you know these judges know what’s correct and what’s not. The way I comprehend what he’s saying is that everyone, including himself, have practiced popular over correct. And the judges who score riders are not independent in their thinking, if they were they would be ousted from the group.

He admitted he fell into correctness taking a backseat to popular and flashy.

Thanks for posting this video. I realize myself that I need to develop a better eye for what’s supple and round and unforced vs. flashy and stiff.

With Valegro, Desperados, and others, does anyone think that the tide is slowly changing back to correctness and softness?

[QUOTE=princessfluffybritches;8554501]
I appreciate you posting this. I could never understand why PK was so heralded . His riding appeared to be so different than his words. …[/QUOTE]

Ahh What???:confused:

Looks at the who posted, Oh OK nevermind :lol:

[QUOTE=Akogler;8554451]
Do you have any proof of that? Did we get to see the entire ride? or the other rides? Is it a horse that you actually know? What were the deleterious effects?

I have only been able to go to two of his US clinics. I am not sure it was hubris regarding the Friesian…people bring horses to the clinics and he is supposed to ride them. I have seen the videos but I also withhold judgement. The horses he rode in the clinics I audited improved. He rode 8 or ten horses each day. He rode them all tactfully and well and they all improved. I would not hold against him or his work the odd ones that didn’t in the one session that he is allowed.

He also taught the riders in those clinics. Some of them listened and tried; some were utterly incapable of having any positive effect on their horses. I don’t hold that against him either.[/QUOTE]

One little thing… He is a vet. He went to vet school and is a vet. He is probably a good vet. And he might be an ok rider, but I am not sure he has any credentials about beeing a successful rider. So for me personally I would have no problems going to a presentation about the medical problems of Rollkur for the horse with him. But I personally would not attend a riding clinic with him. There are other trainers which are more accomplished…

But this is only my personal opinion…

I did go to one of his clinics, years ago, early on in his career in the USA. I think Manni is correct about him being a good vet–that part of the work he showed was very interesting.

However, at that point he would freely admit that he wasn’t a great rider, and… he really wasn’t. He was really only using the horses as demonstration animals. At what point the ego overcame the understanding and he started touting himself as a riding clinician, I don’t know, but he had no business taking people’s money to do that.

I don’t know when this video was made, but it’s a very basic introduction to issues that many people are aware of and discussing. I don’t in fact see anything controversial, or indeed new, in it :).

It is very clear, with good illustrations (video and still) comparing correct to incorrect movement, all seemingly drawn from contemporary competition. The illustrations make the difference between correct and incorrect movement very clear, and worth taking a look at.

None of this is original with Dr. Heuschman.

I haven’t been too impressed with other aspects of Dr. H either, but this video is a good, straight-forward, accessible overview of the issue.

I would add that you don’t need to necessarily be riding at Grand Prix to see the difference between the correct and incorrect examples he posts. And once you get that difference fixed in your mind’s eye, you will start seeing it in many places, and be able to see it filtering down to the lower levels as well.

[QUOTE=Silverbridge;8554371]
If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Silverbridge;8554403]Since it’s been quoted and can’t be deleted, I will apologize to the OP for coming off so snarky.

My intention was to poke fun at the concept of posters pulling “news” from social media sources, often unchecked. It comes across as a more personal insult and for that part I am sorry.[/QUOTE]

First, I accept any and all apologies, no matter why they were proffered. Peace and love? :slight_smile: (Old hippie here who couldn’t find an icon of someone holding a peace sign.)

[QUOTE=Scribbler;8554856]I don’t know when this video was made, but it’s a very basic introduction to issues that many people are aware of and discussing. I don’t in fact see anything controversial, or indeed new, in it :).

It is very clear, with good illustrations (video and still) comparing correct to incorrect movement, all seemingly drawn from contemporary competition. The illustrations make the difference between correct and incorrect movement very clear, and worth taking a look at.

None of this is original with Dr. Heuschman.

I haven’t been too impressed with other aspects of Dr. H either, but this video is a good, straight-forward, accessible overview of the issue.

I would add that you don’t need to necessarily be riding at Grand Prix to see the difference between the correct and incorrect examples he posts. And once you get that difference fixed in your mind’s eye, you will start seeing it in many places, and be able to see it filtering down to the lower levels as well.[/QUOTE]

Scribbler, Thank you.

I’m not a dressage whiz, and I have been trying to educate my eye to actually know what I’m looking at when I watch one horse/rider or another. At least for me, sometimes it’s pretty difficult.

I posted this because it had some side-by-side images that I thought helped my poor minds eye, and the FB thing said the interview would only be up for a limited time.

Just thought it might help someone. I had no idea that he was so controversial. I don’t live Grand Prix every day so the names of these people don’t stick in my head. To an ~extremely low level~ beginner ammy, I saw someone who must be good enough or has name enough that he would warrant in interview.

To anyone who was offended or who thought it may have been inappropriate: my apologies.

[QUOTE=Crockpot;8554270]
Ironically- This man is the poster child for’ the emperor has no clothes’.

There are several photos out there of him riding a Freisian which should help to illustrate his hypocrisy.

There were also issues between him and Xenophon- over disagreements about how he rode horses in clinics. They asked him to stop but he refused so they parted ways.

And then there was his bickering with Phillip karl

A lot of this has magically disappeared from the net.

But he continues to rake in the dough ;-)[/QUOTE]

LOL, a term I lovingly apply to another trainer who is revered by some on this BB, love it!

[QUOTE=alibi_18;8554487]
I can share my plate of spring roll(kur)s![/QUOTE]

I have no comment on the topic, but this deserves a repeat - made me LOL! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sparrowette;8558014]
First, I accept any and all apologies, no matter why they were proffered. Peace and love? :slight_smile: (Old hippie here who couldn’t find an icon of someone holding a peace sign.)

Scribbler, Thank you.

I’m not a dressage whiz, and I have been trying to educate my eye to actually know what I’m looking at when I watch one horse/rider or another. At least for me, sometimes it’s pretty difficult.

I posted this because it had some side-by-side images that I thought helped my poor minds eye, and the FB thing said the interview would only be up for a limited time.

Just thought it might help someone. I had no idea that he was so controversial. I don’t live Grand Prix every day so the names of these people don’t stick in my head. To an ~extremely low level~ beginner ammy, I saw someone who must be good enough or has name enough that he would warrant in interview.

To anyone who was offended or who thought it may have been inappropriate: my apologies.[/QUOTE]

I thought the illustrations were good, and made the differences very clear. Contemporary competition and classical dressage at this point in time have big differences in the ideal of the finished picture: the gaits, outline, posture, of the horse. I liked that he found examples from current competition to illustrate the “good” and also that he avoided making it into a competition versus classical debate, but rather focused on good balance versus bad balance.

You don’t need to be a Grand Prix rider to see the difference just like you don’t need to be a recording star to know when someone is singing off key.

It is also very interesting to look at horses in other disciplines, and see when they are in good balance, and when they are on the forehand, or exaggerating their front limbs. The same principles apply across all disciplines, since the biomechanical issues are the same.

This blog has lots of great visuals and explanations:

http://hoovesblog.com/

This is not a new video, but glad it getting a second, or third or more spotlight. Gerd and Jeremy S and others who feel this way about the current state of dressage will be swimming upstream for the foreseeable future, I’m afraid. But someone has to speak up. Good on him for being the voice of dressage horses and dressage fans like me!