Unlimited access >

German principles of riding.

Are there any trainers (dressage, show-jumping and eventing) in the Greater Toronto Area who follow and teach according to the German principles of riding?

Can you be more specific what you understand German principles of riding to be?

3 Likes

Someone who teaches according to the books

1. Principles of Riding
  2. Advanced Techniques of Dressage
    etc

http://www.stoneylakeequestrian.ca/contact.html

Jaimey and Tina Irwin

1 Like

Ok. If you saw a trainer ride at a show or saw them give a lesson, but weren’t able to ask them if they taught according to these books, what would you be looking for in the actual riding?

Or, alternately, if someone told you they followed these principles and you then watched them ride, what would you be looking for to evaluate whether or not they told you the truth?

1 Like

I have to agree with alibi_18, although I don’t know the area at all, the contact he provided seems to be a perfect fit for the request. At least for the dressage part.

Scribbler, In Germany if you learn for any certification in the equestrian branch, you will learn everything according to those books. For example when I did my bronze and silver medal in Germany I learned riding and handling of horses according to the books and I also did a theoretical part about it. If you go for professional certifications it is the same thing. There is a very solid foundation in those books which are supposed to be common knowledge to riders and trainers.
Of course there are people who learn according to the principles and then do it different. So I guess if you don’t know it, read the book first and then watch the trainer if he proceeds according to the book.
We all know teaching riding is not that easy… But it is comforting that there is a common foundation somewhere where you can look up things…

And if I remember right there is also a part in the books which explains how to structure a lesson. It is actually very interesting and helpful… At least it was when I was in my teens… Maybe it changed since then…

1 Like

The Irwins, Ute Busse (Tina Irwin’s mother), Cindy Ishoy off the top of my head

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. I have heard of Stoney Lake. But right now I am looking for an instructor for both dressage and jumping. According to the Germans an asking rein aid is performed by either closing your hand or by turning your wrist inwards. There should be no backword movement of your hand/arm. If you see someone visibly pulling on the reins during a half-halt or halt, that person is clearly not following the German principles. Asking about weight aids, canter depart are other ways of finding out.

Does anyone teach that pulling back is ok? It’s been at least 20 years since I’ve heard an instructor say to “take back.” Have only been taught squeezing the fingers/ hands, turning the wrist or, when needed, using an opening rein. Didn’t realize that was the “German school,” just correct, quiet riding.

3 Likes

I recently had an instructor explicitly asking me to pull back for half halts.

I see a lot of instructors asking for maximum weight on the reins. They may not say pull back but if you are told to lean your body weight on the reins, that is effectively what you are doing.

1 Like

Ok, that’s clear! Interestingly the only people around my area who ride like this call themselves French dressage :slight_smile: so it gets confusing!

1 Like

Wow, that’s crazy. I’d definitely be looking for a new instructor too!

This seems like a very idealized version of riding, straight from the book. In real life there might be moments where you need to use a stronger half halt. Also, I think there are times when a trainer uses exaggerated teaching to fix something. For example, “lean way, way back” to fix a rider that tips forward. To an onlooker it might seem like the trainer is teaching incorrect principles.

Finally, I think a huge percentage of our top dressage riders are using a system based on the German training scale. Sounds like you are just looking for a better coach. Go to some shows this summer and see how they are teaching their students at the shows. Or better yet, scribe and get a great learning opportunity.

4 Likes

I agree with darkbay - go to a number of shows and watch the coaches and their students ride - I scribe at Palgrave and you do start to see a pattern of “style” in the students of some of the coaches - not all of them though!

We are very lucky with the number of higher level coaches in the GTA.

1 Like

“I recently had an instructor explicitly asking me to pull back for half halts.” Then I’d say it’s a good thing you are looking for a new instructor.

There are very clear differences between the German school and the French school. I’ve studied both and follow the German school. It just mechanically makes more sense to me. YMMV

Yes, this is why I wanted to check that the OP could evaluate her desired riding style from the ground visually. Pick someone if you like how the majority of their more advanced students ride.

Don’t just go by what the coach says about her riding.

Every.single. coach. says they and their students ride light, correct, kind, follow traditional principles, win big, have balanced horses, etc etc etc, even when everything is a mess and their students water-ski and seesaw.

You simply can’t trust what people say until you see what they do.

3 Likes