Get well soon, Reed!

First you have to let everything heal.

Then you have to recognize that there is no way that you can ride like you used to, hopefully this is temporary.

Then you will have to regain all the muscles that wither away while you heal.
The first time I uttered the words “Help I can’t get off” I was on an 18.2 hand high horse. Nowadays, since my last fall (at a walk) I NEED help mounting and dismounting getting my right leg over the cantle of the saddle. Without that help I would not be able to get on or off the horse.

I have no doubt that you will get better soon, as long as you listen to your body and practice patience. Since you have a good relationship with your horse you might want to verbally explain to him why you can’t ride quite as well for a while. You might want to update your horse verbally everytime you ride, because believe me once a horse KNOWS that you can ride it can be difficult for them to realize that you just cannot ride like that for a while.

Like the first times I rode after the drunk driver plowed head on into my little car. My horses heard me, I got on, and all my horses did was “say” “you can do this little bit more, I have FAITH in you, you can do it!” as I was totally collapsed on the horse. My first horse, after I told him I could not go beyond a walk, when 10 minutes had passed decided to prove to me that I could still handle trotting–uh, sorry Hat Tricks, this will not work.

This is why I decided to stop buying horses and go to taking riding lessons on lesson horses, but then my problems are incurable (MS). At least the lesson horses, used for beginning riders, DO believe me when I tell them I just cannot do stuff.

You will heal given time and sanity, thank goodness. I’d hate to lose you on this Forum!

6 Likes

@fivestrideline I remember the hit, saying to myself, “Don’t scream. You might scare the folks outside of the ring.” Then I passed out. I came to with everybody around me and stood up and walked out.

I then passed out again just by the in gate.

Somehow I called my sister to tell her what happened and passed out again. The EMTs forgot to hang up my phone and put it into my shirt pocket. According to my sister, I was hilarious as she just listened to them working on me. I was chatting them all up and flirting.

I guess I figure, why ruin everybody else’s day just because mine went sideways, literally.

17 Likes

Yeah you want to see my daughter’s splat into a Weldon wall? She showed it to everyone.

4 Likes

Yeah?? I’m game, if she’s game :joy:

1 Like

Reed! That was a hell of an intended dismount. You are a warrior! So glad you and Peanut are okay. Can you share if you had any body protection on? If so do you think it helped ? And if not do intend to wear some going forward. Best wishes for a fast full recovery.

5 Likes

Guy I volunteer with had a gastric embolism flare up,went gray, then collapsed at the pantry we volunteered.
When the hunky EMTs arrived, I had to herd the other guys away so they could work on him :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

DUDE! I saw this on TikTok last week!

Glad you are back up in the saddle taking it easy.

2 Likes

OUCH! is right, Reed, that was one big launch and hard landing.
So glad Peanut is not hurt and that you are on the mend…
Sending jingles and healing vibes!
Peanut is lovely! :heart:

1 Like

Hold it. What?!! I sure as heck didn’t post anything there.

When I dislocated my clavicle, I found it much, much easier to get off the way I do when I ride sidesaddle (right leg is already over the left shoulder there), twist on sideways to the left and slide down the side facing away from the horse, no need to push off at all. If your horse will tolerate having a leg swung over the front, it may be easier that way for you :slight_smile:

Speedy healing wishes to you!

3 Likes

They’re watching you…